EPEL Python 3.4 for 7

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Apr 18 04:49:04 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 11:50 PM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> [...]
>>> for a release.  This seems to be as long can be reasonably expected of
>>> EPEL.

So, we're just about ready to have python3-3.4 built in rawhide.  This
package builds fine in EPEL7 too.  So, I'm proposing to build (and
hopefully with help from others) maintain python3-3.4 for EPEL.  Other
options/considerations:

- We could build a python34-3.4 which provides python3 = 3.4.  This wou>>>
>>> Perhaps as time goes by, it may make sense to package a later python3.X
>>> version if people really want to.ld allow us to have multiple
versions concurrently and to conceivably eventually switch a later
version as the default.  Not as easy to maintain as just another branch
of the python3 package though.  And we could do a hard cut at some later
point with the python3 package method as well, so I'm not sure it buys
us much there either.

- I looks like RedHat has been producing python33 SCLs, and presumably
will produce a python34 SCL eventually.  Do we care about this?
Personally I really want to simply be able to build my current Fedora
python packages on EPEL7 with python3 versions just as it is done in
Fedora and I don't think we can do with SCLs.

So, my preference is for the first and will start that soon unless there
is consensus for a different approach.

- Orion

--
Orion Poplawski