EPEL Python 3.4 for 7

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Apr 18 16:53:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 22:49:04 -0600
Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> So, we're just about ready to have python3-3.4 built in rawhide.  This
> package builds fine in EPEL7 too.  So, I'm proposing to build (and
> hopefully with help from others) maintain python3-3.4 for EPEL.  Other
> options/considerations:
>
> - We could build a python34-3.4 which provides python3 = 3.4.  This
> wou>>>
> versions concurrently and to conceivably eventually switch a later
> version as the default.  Not as easy to maintain as just another
> branch of the python3 package though.  And we could do a hard cut at
> some later point with the python3 package method as well, so I'm not
> sure it buys us much there either.

I'd definitely prefer to try and do something where we aren't stuck
with 3.4 for the rest of epel7's life.

> - I looks like RedHat has been producing python33 SCLs, and presumably
> will produce a python34 SCL eventually.  Do we care about this?
> Personally I really want to simply be able to build my current Fedora
> python packages on EPEL7 with python3 versions just as it is done in
> Fedora and I don't think we can do with SCLs.
>
> So, my preference is for the first and will start that soon unless
> there is consensus for a different approach.

I think a number of fedora infrastructure folks might have input here,
but they are all out at pycon this week... so if you could hold off
until next week at least and I will see about pointing them to the
thread here?

kevin