EPEL Python 3.4 for 7

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Sun Apr 27 19:49:37 UTC 2014

On 04/27/2014 07:37 AM, Aaron Knister wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2014, at 8:58 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com
> <mailto:a.badger at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 26, 2014 8:27 PM, "Aaron Knister" <aaron.knister at gmail.com
>> <mailto:aaron.knister at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > We use both EPEL and SCL in my org. I didn't see this addressed in
>> the email chain but I'm concerned about what'll happen if/when SCL
>> includes python34. There are technical means to work around this but
>> it fundamentally makes EPEL and SCL incompatible. I don't believe SCL
>> is considered a layered product but maybe I'm wrong :)
>>
>> If red hat does the right thing and namespaces their scl packages then
>> there shouldn't be any conflicts.  Scls are intended to be isolated
>> from system packages while epel packages are intended to integrate
>> into the system.
>>
>> -Toshio
>>
> The contents are namespaced but the package names are not. We'll end up
> with a package called python34 in each repo that are incompatible. The
> SCL package will have a prefix of /opt/rh/python34/root whereas the EPEL
> package will have a prefix of /. Undoubtedly there will be packages in
> EPEL (that aren't simply python34) modules that will require python34
> that we'll be unable to use on systems with SCL because of the python34
> package conflict. I wish RHEL had prefixed the package names with scl-
> but alas they did not.

What a pain.  FWIW:

SCL 1.1:
# repoquery --whatprovides python3
# repoquery --provides python33
python33 = 1.1-11.el7
python33(x86-64) = 1.1-11.el7
[root at vmrhel7 ~]# repoquery --provides python33-python
python33-python = 3.3.2-10.el7
python33-python(abi) = 3.3
python33-python(x86-64) = 3.3.2-10.el7

EPEL7 (as currently conceived):
# repoquery --provides python34
python(abi) = 3.4
python3 = 3.4.0-2.el7
python34 = 3.4.0-2.el7
python34(x86-64) = 3.4.0-2.el7

So yes, we'll likely conflict on the python34 name when python34 appears
in SCL.  The EPEL packages will likely simply require python(abi) = 3.4
and python3, so that may not be an issue.

I suppose we could use "python3.4".

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com