EPEL RFC: Strategy for python3 versions

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:58:00 UTC 2014

On 30 April 2014 08:46, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 07:22:40PM -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> >
> > Finally:
> >    python34-3.4
>
> This has precedent.

The main reason I chose this when doing the mediawiki packages was to avoid
parsing problems due to the fact that people like to do ls -1 and then
awk/cut out per the first - or . as the package name. I won't say that
their approach is good but it was the most common one I ran into when
looking at doing mediawiki117 or mediawiki1.17

(the other solution was an rpm aware ls like program.. just what everyone
needs to add to ls .deb/.rpm/xxx parsing :).)

> or python3.4-3.4
>
> When I create new compat packages, I like to put dots in the version so
> this works for me as well.
>
> > or python-3.4-3.4
>
> I dislike dashes in that position as it makes it hard to read.

I agree. It makes it very hard to see if I am looking at

--
Stephen J Smoogen.