EPEL libmodplug retirement in

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Aug 14 20:26:44 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 6:49 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 August 2014 09:46, Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > last week, libmodplug got retired from EPEL (both 5 and 6), see
>> > https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5960
>> >
>> > But our users seem to miss it, it broke dependencies of qmmp and
>> > xine-lib.
>> >
>> > I know you've orphaned the EPEL branches a few years ago, however, I'd
>> > like
>> > to ask you to reconsider the decision. RHEL based desktop is still not
>> > dead
>>
>> I may reconsider that when/if I sometime start to use an EL based
>> system that has some kind of use for or sensible means for audio
>> output. But that time is not now, so I'm afraid it's a "no thanks"
>> from me at the moment, someone else should look into it.
>
> What would be a sensible means of audio output?

Audio hardware, speakers, something like that. Anyway none of the EL
boxes I use have anything that I could even effortlessly test
libmodplug with. And even if I could, I wouldn't sign up for
maintaining something I don't actually use, that kind of "maintenance"
is not what I want from EL distros/packages. This is exactly why I
stopped maintaining EL libmodplug years ago, and nothing has really
changed since. The package needs a maintainer who actually eats his
own dog food at least to some extent.