EPEL Can 7 packages depend on Software Collections packages?

Dave Johansen davejohansen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:51:22 UTC 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:

> On 08/26/2014 11:07 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 3:08 PM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> No they can not. Every package we ship in EPEL must only rely on what is
> >> shipped in either EPEL or base RHEL (or CentOS as it doesn't have a ton
> of
> >> confusing channels).
> >
> > OK.  I suppose I should ask the collections people whether a
> > collection package for EL is allowed to depend on EPEL.
>
> the idea with SCL is that you extend a collection, or inherit another
> one by building your own collection. Its a oneway street, once you are
> in the scl lands.

It depends on if you're talking about making an SCL or using one (like
devtoolset). I previously asked about the concept of using devtoolset in
particular (
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2013-September/008737.html
) and think that it would be nice because it would allow for support of
packages that can't be built with gcc 4.4 that comes with EL.

One way to accomplish this would be to have an EPEL-DT repo that was built
with the newer version of gcc that comes with devtoolset. It would be nice
because it would allow developers to make use of it but wouldn't
necessarily require that the user have a devtoolset subscription (which is
my understanding of how devtoolset was meant to be used).

Dave