EPEL EPIC minor release branches

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 07:45:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

I read the log from last weeks EPEL meeting [1].
It is great to see discuss happening on (codename:) EPIC. :-)

At Flock at the EPEL.next session there was mention of using
branches/tags per minor EL version for EPIC for greater long term flexibility,
which I thought sounded pretty attractive: it would allow people to switch
to a newer version of EPIC when they are ready rather either being
stuck on EPEL or forced to upgrade to the latest greatest immediately.

Granted there are questions around how (long) to maintain
the older release branches, but I think this can be handled
by EOL policy similar to what we have for Fedora.

I think having EPIC not just be a rolling release would
be a big advantage over EPEL and it would fit with the
release model that is already working well for RHEL/Centos et al.
I feel EPEL/EPIC is too long lived not to have branches. :)

I would have liked to have join the meeting tonight to discuss
but it is at 1am in my timezone unfortunately...

Jens

[1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/epel/2014-08-22/epel_reboot.2014-08-22-16.00.html