[EPEL-devel] Proposal for Python 3 packaging in EPEL 7

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 09:17:40 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Yeah, now that it all comes back to me, naming conflicts with SCLs is
> probably
> the biggest issue.  The fact SCLs weren't given a prefix is a major issue for
> many possible EPEL packages.
>
> On 12/11/2014 09:46 AM, Carl George wrote:
> > One thing to look out for would be SCL mod_wsgi.  In the SCL world they
> > name
> > it python33-mod_wsgi.  Most modules are %{SCL}-python-%{module}, but
> > mod_wsgi
> > is unique.  To avoid conflicts, the IUS project has committed to using the
> > suffix "u" on our packages going forward (python34u-mod_wsgi).  Are you
> > concerned at all about naming conflicts with SCL packages?
> >
> > I added the IUS coredev mailing list to the CC line.
> >
> > Carl George
> > IUS Community Project

Good points, both.
The thing that I forgot to mention is that it was decided that new RHSCL collections will be prefixed with "rh-", hence giving "rh-python34" and similar. Therefore we don't have to be afraid of any naming conflicts - if and when Python 3.4 is packaged for RHSCL, it won't conflict with the proposed python34 EPEL stack (not now, not in future).

Slavek

> > *From:* epel-devel-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org
> > [epel-devel-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] on behalf of Stephen John
> > Smoogen
> > [smooge at gmail.com]
> > *Sent:* Wednesday, December 10, 2014 02:24 PM
> > *To:* EPEL Development List
> > *Subject:* Re: [EPEL-devel] Proposal for Python 3 packaging in EPEL 7
> >

> > On 10 December 2014 at 03:48, Bohuslav Kabrda <bkabrda at redhat.com
> > <mailto:bkabrda at redhat.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all,
> >     I know I've been promising this for quite some time to several people,
> >     so
> >     I finally managed to put together a proposal for packaging Python 3 in
> >     EPEL 7 (it'd also scale to EPEL 6 for that matter).
> >     I've created a wiki page [1] with the proposal and I'd like to hear
> >     comments and thoughts on it. There are some TODOs and variants in few
> >     places - I'd like to hear your opinions on these, or perhaps
> >     suggestions
> >     on better approaches.
> >     I'll create new documents with the updated proposal at some points
> >     during
> >     the discussion, so that people can easily see where the proposal is
> >     going
> >     without having to compare wiki revisions.
> >
> >     Is there any other list/interested parties that should be put in CC of
> >     this mail? If so, please feel free to respond and do that yourself.
> >

> > THis proposal looks good at first blush. I think the time for retirement of
> > python3X to python3(X+1) can be anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months (if that
> > isn't too long).
> >

> >     Thanks!
> >
> >     --
> >     Regards,
> >     Slavek Kabrda
> >
> >     [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/EPEL7_Python3
> >

> > --
> > Stephen J Smoogen.

> --
> Orion Poplawski
> Technical Manager                     303-415-9701 x222
> NWRA, Boulder/CoRA Office             FAX: 303-415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com
> Boulder, CO 80301                   http://www.nwra.com

Regards,
Slavek Kabrda