EPEL Deprecated Django 1.5 in

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 13:35:16 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-02 at 12:57 +0300, Dionysis Grigoropoulos wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 10:33:07PM +0200, Matthias Runge wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 01:28:04PM +0300, Dionysis Grigoropoulos wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > as far as I can see, EPEL 7 currently provides packages `python-django`
> > > and `python-django15` being versions 1.6.5 and 1.5.6 respectively. EPEL
> > > 6 provides `python-django15` and `Django14` being 1.5.6 and 1.4.14.
> > >
> > > According to the Django documentation [1], since version 1.7 was
> > > released, version 1.5 won't receive security updates anymore. Wouldn't
> > > it be better to remove python-django15 from both repos and add 1.4
> > > (current LTS which will be supported at least until March of 2015) to
> > > EPEL 7 and 1.6 to epel 6?
> >
> > Thank you for the heads-up.
> >
> > I recently retired python-django15 from Fedora 21+, and I should do the
> > same ASAP for EPEL6 and EPEL7 as well.
> >
> > (THIS IS THE ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT REMOVAL in about two weeks.)
> >
> > About adding Django14 to EPEL7: Since there is currently Django-1.6,
> > which is supported until March 2015 as well, I don't see any pro to add
> > another Django version. The other reason is: having two versions in the
> > same release is just a pain; I'd try to avoid this; they need to be
> > installable in parallel. We had that, it didn't work very well.
> >
> > Does this make any sense?
> > Matthias
> > --
> > Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>
>
> Thank you for the quick reply Matthias.
>
> Yes, it makes sense not having two versions of the same software in the
> same release. I've had issues with that myself in the past, notably with
> sqlalchemy in EPEL 6.
>
> My only concern about Django 1.6, is that it's a bit too "bleeding edge"
> to my taste and a lot of projects on the web still need Django 1.4 due
> to its LTS nature.

It's technically an LTS, but it's still ending support in just a few
months. If we include it in EPEL 7 now, we're effectively committing to
support it a LOT longer than upstream will. I suspect that Matthias
isn't willing to take on that responsibility. However, if you or someone
else wanted to own it, I'm sure Matthias would help you get it off the
ground...