EPEL upgrading mantis

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Oct 3 14:12:18 UTC 2014

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 09:46:48 +0200
Gianluca Sforna <giallu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> since EPEL 5 ships an ancient version of mantis, I'd like to align it
> to the 1.2 series used in Fedora and make it easier to keep up with
> the various security issue fixed upstream.
>
> Since it is not really a drop in replacement for the 1.1.x serie
> (admins needs to perform a schema upgrade after installation), is
> there a special procedure to follow for this update?

In the past the best we could do was:

0) really try and avoid the incompatible upgrade.

If it still has to happen (current version no longer supported by
upstream and has major security or other bugs, etc):

1) announce loudly here and epel-announce list that you are planning an
incompatible upgrade.

2) Create the new package/update and push it to epel-testing, but
disable auto push on karma.

3) Leave it in testing a while (weeks? month?)

4) Announce again loudly

5) push it out.

kevin