EPEL python26 status in 5

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Fri Sep 12 17:36:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-08-20 at 21:20 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Just trying to see what's the status of the python26 package in EPEL5.
> It doesn't appear to have been updated for a while:
>
> * Wed Nov 07 2012 Jeffrey Ness <jeffrey.ness at rackspace.com> - 2.6.8-2
> - Patch 121 forces sys.platform to linux2
>    related to issue http://bugs.python.org/issue12326

I'm sorry about the lack of attention from me on this package; I'm
deeply involved in GCC upstream right now, and don't have time to work
on it.  Sorry.

I also don't use it; for recent python on RHEL 5 I now prefer the RH
Software Collections [1].

I've orphaned the EPEL5 branch within the pkgdb.

> python 2.6.9 was released but not updated -
> https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.9/
>
> Upstream has declared it dead, although it is in RHEL6 and so presumably
> receives attention from RedHat there.
>
> There are several open CVE bugs against it.  Time to retire or try to
> sync to the RHEL6 package?
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&classification=Fedora&component=python26&list_id=2761524&product=Fedora%20EPEL&query_format=advanced
>
> - Orion
>
> PS - I started looking into this to see if it is worth trying to create
> a python26-django14 package for EL5 to support cobbler-web.

[1]
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Software_Collections/1/html/1.0_Release_Notes/chap-RHSCL.html#tabl-RHSCL-Components