[EPEL-devel] python34 packages for EPEL

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Wed Aug 19 09:43:44 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-15, 22:41 GMT, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> for in EPEL, but not ship python2 versions.  So a question becomes, where do
> they get maintained?  Either:
>
> - epel7 branch of the python-blah package in Fedora?
> - a new python3X-blah package?
>
> And if in an epel7 branch of an existing package, is it conceivable to
> maintain a common spec across EPEL and Fedora?

I would start discarding all workarounds in packages like

%if 0%{?rhel}
# do just python2
%endif

and harmonize EPEL-7 with Fedora. Then we can see how much true
maintenance in EPEL7 we have (plenty of packages actually do use
the unified spec for all distros).

> I think this is somewhat representative of the changes needed in a more
> complicated package (setuptools) which isn't actually too terrrible:

Of course, packages like python-setuptools should go first.

Best,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for
support, rather than illumination.
      -- Andrew Lang