[EPEL-devel] Questiona regarding c++11 support

Zhiwei Zhu z_zhu at wargaming.net
Thu Jan 15 04:12:56 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I am not sure whether this has been discussed before or whether it's appropriate to discuss this in this list.

My question is about c++11 support for the projects on epel (probably more specifically, epel7).  Do we have any kind of general policy regarding c++11 support?
I am asking this because recently we encountered a problem related to this. The case is that our project is built with option '-std=c++11' while the library used by our project on epel (specifically mongo-cxx-driver) was not built with this option, and our process simply crashes during start.
The root cause is the ABI built with c++11 option is actually not compatible with that without it. Please refer to https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Cxx11AbiCompatibility.

So the '-std=c++11' draws a clear line between binaries/libraries, all of them must be built either with it or without it(C code is probably fine). You cannot mix them togother, otherwise there might be risks.

Is there any general policy regarding this c++11 support? Or just maintainers make the decision for specific project?

If the question is not approriate to discuss in this list, please ignore it. Or if anyone has any idea about where I can find relevant information,  could you please share with me?

Thanks~

Best Regards
Jacky

[wargaming.net]
EgzO3mXGcK

This e-mail may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION and/or PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION intended solely for the recipient and, therefore, may not be retransmitted to any party outside of the recipient's organization without the prior written consent of the sender. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately by telephone or reply e-mail and destroy the original message without making a copy. Wargaming.net accepts no liability for any losses or damages resulting from infected e-mail transmissions and viruses in e-mail attachment. kgzO3mXGcg