[EPEL-devel] problem with epel mirrors?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 23:16:12 UTC 2015

On 30 June 2015 at 15:19, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 30.06.2015 um 23:16 schrieb Bernard Lheureux:
>>
>> On 06/30/2015 11:00 PM, Gary Gatling wrote:
>>
>> I have the same troubles with CentOS  5 and 6 and EPEL 5 and 6 !
>>>
>>> I noticed today I cannot yum install any packages from epel 7.
>>>
>>> I see lots of errors like:
>>>

>>> http://fedora.westmancom.com/epel/7/x86_64/repodata/6201e922dac4ba1b5b44be2339d61a8b067bdf798dcbae2ded82b14ea6acd644-primary.sqlite.xz:
>>> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found
>>>
>>> http://mirror.clarkson.edu/epel/7/x86_64/repodata/6201e922dac4ba1b5b44be2339d61a8b067bdf798dcbae2ded82b14ea6acd644-primary.sqlite.xz:
>>> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found
>>>
>>> Is there a problem with epel 7 and all the mirrors? Or could this be a
>>> local problem.
>>>
>>> This started after I ran
>>>
>>> yum clean all
>

> it's a repeating problem with the Fedora infrastructure and by far only hits
> EPEL, somtimes YUM resloves deps, downloads 3 pckages, a 404, pretends it
> tries another mirror and stops
>
> repeating "yum upgrade" will download the next package, stops again, repeat
> it often enough and the updates suceeds

OK we have been seeing reports of this problem but never enough data
to pin down what of many problems it could be. Patrick Uiterwijk has
written a script which if people could check and run it will help us
greatly. The code is at https://github.com/puiterwijk/check_metalink
and looks to require the python-request-ftp module which isn't in EPEL
but is in Fedora 21->22 [This is mainly to check ftp hosts.. if you
only care about http.. don't worry]

On EL-6, EL-7 systems:

sudo yum install python-virtualenv
virtualenv venv; source venv/bin/activate; pip install requests requests-ftp
mkdir home
cd home
git clone git at github.com:puiterwijk/check_metalink.git
cd check_metalink

On Fedora-21+ systems:
git clone git at github.com:puiterwijk/check_metalink.git
cd check_metalink

python ./check_metalink -v -v -v --repo=epel-7 --arch=x86_64
--check-master &> master-out.txt
python ./check_metalink -v -v -v --repo=epel-7 --arch=x86_64
--check-mirrors &> mirror-out.txt

The output should help us figure out why we aren't seeing these
problems in some environments but others are seeing it a lot.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.