[EPEL-devel] To update or not Audacity in EPELs - soxr, portaudio

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu May 7 13:18:02 UTC 2015

Hi, I'm considering building Audacity 2.1.0 to make available in EPEL
testing for EPEL5,6,7.

EPEL-7 builds with the current Fedora spec, after conditionalizing out
the package appdata improvements that are suitable for Fedora 22 and later.

EPEL-6 build current fails due to missing build requires:
DEBUG util.py:388:  Error: No Package found for portaudio-devel >= 19-16
DEBUG util.py:388:  Error: No Package found for soxr-devel

portaudio is available in EPEL, but is at a lower version. It appears
that since 19-16 (2013-05-04), only distro rebuilds have caused build
version increments, so I would consider it to be stable, at least within
Fedora. I can request the Fedora/EPEL7 maintainer to update for EPEL5,6.

I can request or take soxr into EPEL5/6. I haven't tried building it
locally yet.

Referring to EPEL update policy, any recommendations about building for
epel-updates-testing, with the view to leaving it there until positive
feedback Karma accumulates ?