[EPEL-devel] epel CD

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 18:19:35 UTC 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 13:01, Carpenter, Rob <rob.carpenter at lmco.com> wrote:
> Is is possible to create an EPEL CD for installation of packages onto
> standalone systems not connected to the internet?

It is possible for you to do so, but not for us. Because EPEL is a
rolling release area, there is no frozen or set that you can say is
"EPEL-2.0" , EPEL-3.0 etc. At best a snapshot would be possible but we
run into a second issue. EPEL is larger than a

Because EPEL isn't "released" per se there isn't a way we could create
a DVD that

[smooge at batcave01 epel]$ du -shc ./5 ./6 ./7
22G ./5
50G ./6
32G ./7
103G total

That is several (hundred) cdroms of data. So instead what I normally
do for secure networks is the following:

1. Make a localized mirror of the epel infrastructure.
2. Take the packages that are needed for the internal services and put
into a parallel tree in the size limit of the read only storage medium
I am going to use (DVD, Blueray, CDrom)
3. in the tree of packages that I am going copy use createrepo to
build up the trees that yum will use to repoquery.
4. create a repo file with an updated baseurl like

baseurl=file:///mnt/dvd/myprivaterepo/

5. mkisofs of the tree.
6. cut the dvd and send to ISO/ISSM group for review.

On remote system, put in the dvd and mount ot say /mnt/dvd and copy
the repo to your /etc/yum.repos.d/myepel.repo
And you can install packages from that private repo on a network free system.

[For large repos I end up making just large trees of files in multiple
dvds and then copy into something like /home/myepel/ and then doing
the createrepo on the local system.]

Stephen J Smoogen.