[EPEL-devel] IBM Z Series Binary RPMs

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Sep 1 16:14:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:15:59 -0400
"Bryan Chan" <bryan.chan at ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> Brian Schonecker <bschonec at gmail.com> wrote on 2015-08-31 09:40:22 AM:
>
> > I would like to contribute to the Fedora Project EPEL repository by
> > compiling the SRPMs located in
> (http://dl.fedoraproject/org/pub/epel/6/SRPMS
> > ) for the IBM Z Series (ie: zLinux) architecture.  The architecture
> > would be s390x in the URL.  Is there anyone here who can create a
> > new architecture and I can supply the actual RPM binaries?
>
> Last time I checked, there were issues with supporting secondary
> architectures in EPEL, and those issues were to be discussed at Flock.
> Is there any conclusion from those discussions?

There was indeed discussions, but mostly about i386.
Dennis said he thought we could set things up so we could build i386
against CentOS, and still build x86_64 against RHEL.

There wasn't too much further discussion about s390 specifically.

> I would like to contribute patches to some RPMs so they can be built
> on IBM z, but it doesn't seem that EPEL can support a new architecture
> yet.

Yeah, there's still questions about builders (where and controlled by
whom) and how to handle failures, etc.

Perhaps we could discuss outstanding questions in the next meeting
(friday at 18UTC in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.net)

kevin