[EPEL-devel] Dealing with cyclic dependencies

Bryan Chan bryan.chan at ca.ibm.com
Tue Sep 8 17:02:41 UTC 2015

As I mentioned at last Friday's meeting, we have tried building EPEL 7
packages on s390x, using a simple script that runs mock on all the
SRPMs, and populating a local yum repo with the generated binary RPMs.
SRPMs that fail to build due to missing dependencies will often succeed
on the second pass, when they find the necessary dependencies in the
local yum repo. However, RPMs that have cyclic dependencies cannot be
built this way, when none of the RPMs in the cycle currently exists for
a new architecture.

I suppose one could break the cycle by installing dependencies from
source, and then building one of the RPMs with rpmbuild -bb --nodeps,
outside of mock. Once the cycle is broken, the remaining packages
should be possible to build with mock.

I just wonder if any one knows of a better way to deal with this.

Bryan