[EPEL-devel] Dealing with cyclic dependencies

Bryan Chan bryan.chan at ca.ibm.com
Thu Sep 10 07:00:17 UTC 2015

Dan HorĂ¡k <dan at danny.cz> wrote on 2015-09-08 01:56:54 PM:

> Often those packages contain a "bootstrap" macro that can be set to 1
> for an initial build with limited dependencies and to 0 for production
> build. And for building for EPEL there should be a older build (source
> rpm) available (because it had to bootstrapped also for regular EPEL),
> so first rebuild this, and then the latest, or next or whatever is
> necessary. The changelog in the spec files and/or history in dist-git
> will show the details about the versions.
>
> Do you have a list of those problematic builds?

Hi Dan, thanks for the suggestion. My team mate has found a similar
bootstrap macro in the ghc packages and is trying it out now.

I asked the person who did the original runs back in June but he doesn't
remember where the circular dependencies came from. He thought it might
be some Python- or Perl-related dependencies in a %test section of a
package but he isn't sure. We will watch out for the issue and report
if we see it again.

Thanks, Bryan