[EPEL-devel] [Proposal] Converge EPEL and CBS

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Tue Sep 22 19:18:28 UTC 2015

On Monday, September 21, 2015 08:58:21 PM Haïkel wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 16:12:07 +0200
> >
> > Haïkel <hguemar at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Since the CentOS acquihire, there was a lot of discussion about
> >> EPEL's future. Since the FOSDEM meetup between Fedora/CentOS folks,
> >> there was little progress on that topic
> >>
> >> After a discussion with a Smooge, I decided to come with a proposal,
> >> knowing that
> >> 1. Fedora wants to keep EPEL within it umbrella
> >> 2. That CentOS SIGs are in practice rebuilding a lot of EPEL packages
> >> (or retag them for other SIGs)
> >> leading to poor maintenance as they don't follow EPEL tickets for all
> >> their dependencies.

Why is this? would it be enough that the CBS had epel as an external repo that
can be added to SIG's projects? that way epel and updates can be available to
build against.

> > Which tickets do you mean here? They are only rebuilding some packages,
> > but not others or?
>
> Any tickets filed against EPEL, for instance, if a bug or CVE is fixed
> against EPEL package,  CBS rebuilds won't be impacted as there's no
> way to automate that.
> Some examples from CentOS Cloud SIG:
> * RabbitMQ: it's a runtime requirement for OpenStack, we could just
> reuse EPEL packages but that would mean that Cloud SIG repository
> wouldn't be self-contained
> => Nick Coghlan's RepoFunnel would be a solution to mash repositories here.
> * A hell lot of python build requirements, that have to be rebuilt in
> CBS, as CBS don't have access to EPEL packages.
if we build and track in epel and use epel in CBS to build against we should
be covered.

> For instance, if the EPEL package gets fixed for a CVE, the CBS
> package may not get fixed (and vice-versa).
> Moreover, it makes mixing EPEL and CentOS SIGs repositories harder.
>
> >> 3. EPEL is not part CentOS plans, and as soon as SIGs will progress,
> >> *may* turn the former irrelevant
> >
> > I suppose, but lots of people use/look to epel for packages, I don't
> > think that will change to using packages from CentOS sigs overnight.
>
> I agree.
>
> >> 4. Some EPEL packages are poorly maintained especially on older EL
> >> releases and/or orphaned
> >
> > Sure, just like any large collection of packages.
>
> Yes, but all the more a reason to make it easier for CentOS community
> to participate to this efforts

I am all for making it easier to contribute to EPEL, one thing to consider is
that to contribute to EPEL you must agree to the FPCA, afaik CentOS does not
have an equivalent and at the least Legal requires it for Fedora and EPEL

> >> We've reached the point where both EPEL/CBS would greatly benefit to
> >> join hands.
> >>
> >> So I suggest that we consider the following:
> >> * EPEL will still use Fedora dist-git
> >> * EPEL builds should be done in CBS to make it easier for SIGs to
> >> consume it.
> >
> > How do EPEL maintainers launch builds in CBS?
>
> Through bstrinson centpkg tool as for the tooling aspect
> (infra-related issues are covered in a later point)
why would it need to if we are using fedora's dist-git? It seems very very
messy here.

> > How do builds get signed?
>
> That would be left to CentOS core SIG team
Okay, I would like to know what exactly that means and entails, for one we
have no way to export the private keys for epel from Fedora's sigul server.
changing keys would be a pain and require a lot of careful work.

> > How do updates get pushed out to EPEL users? Does CentOS have a bodhi
>
> Good question, from my current experience, I get little feedback on my
> EPEL updates and never got one pushed to stable just through karma.

So what can we do to add extra QA and testing? as that is what is needed to
get builds pushed via karma. I do not see that magically being fixed.

> > instance?
> >
> >> * EPEL will use CentOS repositories instead of mirroring RHEL
> >> repositories
> >
> > CBS seems to not have ppc64... so no more ppc64 EPEL packages?
>
> True, if we could get some stats over ppc64 (and any arch unsupported
> by CentOS), that would help weighting on the decision as for any
> trade-off.

We are talking about adding ppc64le aarch64 and possibly s390x to epel.  there
is also the issue that will creap up because of the differences in how RHEL
and CentOS ship that packages from EPEL will not be installable on RHEL when
build on CentOS.  This is a RHEL issue, but it is nicer to track by building
against REHL and not CentOS,  though we also discussed having i686 builds that
use CentOS to build against

> > Also, this would probibly be some kind of big deal to some people who
> > like that EPEL is built against rhel. Personally, I don't think it
> > matters, but it would have to be communicated clearly.
>
> (I also saw Karsten reply about it)
> It needs to be communicated, but considering CentOS good history on
> that matter, I personally don't think it's big deal, too.
It is a much bigger deal politically than technically

> >> * Bridging Fedora/CentOS accounting system (CentOS is migrating to
> >> FAS)  <== we need to see the feasibility of this but that would be
> >> optimal, that would increase the permeability between our two
> >> contributors pools which is something, we all want to encourage.
> >
> > Bridging in which way? what information would be good to communicate
> > back and forth?
>
> I'm not familiar enough with the FAS/pkgdb architecture, so I will
> just list some requirements.
> * ensure that EPEL packagers could rebuild their packages in CBS
> * ensure that CentOS core SIG could administrate epel-provenpackager group
>
> Off course, it could be minimal and may not require syncing FAS
> instances, in the end.
I would like to know what you mean here and what you are thinking, regardless
of if its technically possibly today or not. It may be possible in the future.

> >> * Create a EPEL provenpackager group under CentOS core SIG
> >> supervision, allowing them to appoint people to maintain EPEL
> >> packages.
> >
> > Overriding the existing EPEL maintainers?
>
> Yes, as provenpackager could do with most Fedora packages but limited
> to EPEL branches.
> I know this may be difficult to give some control to another
> organization over part of our project. But we need to consider that
> Fedora/CentOS are part of a larger ecosystem.

This should be implementable.

> >> I suggest that we keep the EPEL name to acknowledge EPEL historical
> >> effort to provide quality additional packages for EL distros.
> >> Fedora contributors would still be able to contribute to EPEL, and
> >> CentOS contributors to make it up their standards.
> >>
> >> Would that work for you?
> >
> > I think there would be a large amount of technical and public relations
> > work needed to get anything like this off the ground.
> >
> > If the problem is that CBS only has a subset of epel builds, perhaps we
> > could solve that by setting up a script that listens to fedora fedmsgs
> > and imports epel builds from fedora koji when they are done?
> >
> > kevin
>
> Yes, my first proposal may have sounded that it's trivial but it's
> not. On the other hand, this is something achievable and that could
> benefit for both projects.
>
> As any proposal, this needs to be discussed, improved and comes with a
> lot of trade-offs but if nobody starts the discussion, we'll just go
> nowhere.
> All the points you raised are perfectly valid, and needs to be
> discussed with every stakeholder. Maybe the final solution will be
> completely different, but that's not what matters.
> This is a concrete way to build Fedora/CentOS collaboration.
>
> If merging cost is too important, then we could discuss alternatives
> (like EPEL rebuilds automation in CBS), but we need to end the
> discussion at some point.
> Anyway, I won't champion any proposal that gets no support from both
> communities.

There is a massive amount of political play here.  it is not trivial
technically or politically.  I am all for working out ways to enable CentOS
contributors to contribute to EPEL. I personally do not think that moving to
CBS solves any problems, but will create many. I do not know where CBS is
physically located, but if it was in the same data centre as Fedora's koji
maybe we could look at sharing some resources, storage and database for koji,
while providing separate frontends and views in.  though Fedora is at about
30T of disk right now, not sure where CentOS is and how much we would need,
but I am guessing in the order of 60T or more.

I think that shorter term, CentOS needs to allow epel to be used as an
external repo, and we need to come up with ways to make it easier for people
that have traditionally worked in CentOS to contribute to EPEL.

Dennis