[FAmSCo] Mentor nominee deliberations

Rodrigo Padula rodrigopadula at projetofedora.org
Tue Apr 6 13:15:07 UTC 2010

Em Ter, 2010-04-06 às 10:05 +0200, Joerg Simon escreveu:
> Am Dienstag, 6. April 2010 01:10:28 schrieb David Nalley:
> > I don't disagree; a public and transparent process is good.
> > If we continue to keep such discussions public how do we do so in a
> > way that remains respectful and encouraging without sacrificing the
> > integrity of the process?
>
> As long as we consider - "How would i feel, if i would be the person in
> question?", we are on the right way. Maybe IRC is not the right place because
> there is less response-time to think over.
>
> I also expect, that if a Mentor proposes a new Mentor Candidate, the Candidate
> should really be ready to become a Mentor - to avoid such unworthy
> discussions.
> As example:
> A very Active Packager is not automaticaly a good Ambassador or Ambassador
> Group Mentor in the same way i would be a horrible Packaging Sponsor ;)

I Agree. As I told many times here and in the IRC, Igor isnt only an
active contributor in a tech project. Igor is guiding people and
"mentoring" contributors since 2006 in Brazil.

Ok, Igor isn't active in our ambasadors lists and in our IRC

> He should have at least some visibility inside the Ambassadors Group, he has
> mentored some Ambassadors already together with the other Mentor to learn the
> process and he should also be connected and already visible to the global
> community so we see the work that is done in Ambassadors!

Sure, but the mentor has a local focus, so, the mentor candidate need to
have visibility in the region where the mentor will work. Thinking in
this way, Igor has a great/big visibility here, not only local, but
regional too.

> Maybe we should work on this in the next Mentors Meeting.
> But i do not want to make more new hard rules. But if we had, we could have
> avoid the previous discussions.
>
> In this special case, i never gave a hard -1 until i was forced to do so - i
> gave my answer and i think it is clear what i expect.
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2010-March/000103.html
>

> cu Joerg

The problem here is credibility and I dont have it to recommend a
Brazilian Ambassador to help me at Fedora Project.

I think we have to spend more time on IRC and mail lists sending kisses
and hugs as I told before.

That is very bad, not for me, that's bad for Fedora Project as a
"meritocratic community".

I'm really disappointed with the way that Fedora and Red Hat is going
and now I'm disappointed with the FAMSCO way too.

We are doing great marketing efforts but we are losing users,
contributors and ambassadors!

The number of Linux Users is increasing very quickly around the world
but the number of Fedora users is decreasing as we can see
here:https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

IMHO we need to change the way that we are making decisions and some POV
or in some years the statistics will be even worse.

--
Rodrigo Padula de Oliveira
www.rodrigopadula.com