[FAmSCo] Regarding copyrighted material in your blog and best practices of an ambassador.

Paul W. Frields pfrields at redhat.com
Wed Aug 25 20:56:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:31:04AM +0500, Mustafa Qasim wrote:

> > Just a personal side note - i am a bit confused and sad seeing a
> > Ambassador putting so much energy in defending and promoting something
> > questionable, instead putting this energy in promoting Fedora. Please do
> > not get me wrong but why are you a Fedora Ambassador?\
> >

> I am a bit confused also. Please don't take me wrong but I am worried why I
> didn't understood the Conduct they way you mean. Maybe you guys are thinking
> that I am mixing up Fedora and Redhat as you didn't object against the
> uniper post I wrote. I do understand and I am NOT promoting Redhat in Fedora
> Community. To summarize "I am a Linux newbie, student, enthusiast and fan of
> Fedora. I do work with my local FOSS groups(Pakistan Open Source Foundation,
> Ubuntu Pakistan, Linux Pakistan) and working hard to promote Fedora by
> representing Fedora Pakistan. I don't say that I am broadcasting Redhat
> instead of Fedora in fact I do work on Redhat along Fedora So, I do like to
> talk and write about both and many other Open Source stuff"

Trademarks are tricky things, so I certainly don't claim to be an
expert about them. :-)  But I know what typically causes trademark
issues is confusion about whether something's officially connected to
the owner.  I think you could probably resolve most of that by:

* putting a footer on your blog about Red Hat Certified Engineer and
  RHCE being trademarks of Red Hat

* Clarify that you're offering personal tips as opposed to a
  commercial course

> As suggested by Paul I found it best to filter my posts for Fedora Planet
> but I am worried even after that does writing about Redhat on my blog
> violates the Conduct of being a Fedora representative(which I really don't
> wish to happen)? I didn't found any such conduct that forbids the Ambassador
> to talk about anything other then Fedora on his personal blog or
> meetings(except Fedora meetups/events).

I don't think that's what Joerg meant.  I think what Joerg was trying
to get at, was that we'd love to see more Fedora specific material on
the Fedora Planet, especially when it comes from our Ambassadors
around the world.

> I am happy to have kind fellows who guides us and help recover from
> mistakes. So, would it be okay if I do filter my posts on planet and keep
> the Redhat training posts outside the planet?

I don't see a problem with that.

--
Paul W. Frields. . . . RHEL Dept. Operations Manager, Red Hat, Inc.
pfrields at redhat.com . . . . . . . http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/