[FAmSCo] my famsco-related updates

María Leandro tatica at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 22 12:45:39 UTC 2010

Hello to all.

We are better when we admit our mistakes and try to solve them, just a
thought to start :)

2010/7/22 Max Spevack <mspevack at fedoraproject.org>

> Hi all,
>
> *** NOTE: I will be on a small vacation, from Thursday afternoon of July
> 22 through the end of the day on Monday July 26. ***
>
> I apologize for the fact that I've been a bit absent lately -- I was on
> a business trip for team meetings as well as the Community Leadership
> Summit from Tuesday the 13th until Tuesday the 20th, and today was my
> day to get caught up on a few things.

np, we all have our own works, and we still need to remember that what we do
for Fedora is a contribution :)

> There are a few Ambassador/FAMSCO related topics that I know are
> swirling and that I need to chime in on.
>
> (1) Release parties -- Joerg, I saw your pings about setting a budget
> for the release parties, and for the plans to get that money to people.
> I think that the total budget can be whatever you, or the rest of famsco
> thinks it needs to be.  Anything up to a few thousand dollars shouldn't
> be any sort of a problem.  In terms of making sure that people are able
> to get their money quickly, if someone in famsco can make sure that we
> get a list of all the paypal addresses and amounts that we owe, i can
> make sure the money gets sent out fast.
>
> (2) Overall budget -- I got everything updated today, and our famsco
> budget page is fully updated as well.
>
>        https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAmSCo_budget

Just a little question in here, FUDcon LATAM expenses will be on this month
report or next one?

> One of the things I'd like to encourage everyone to do in their regional
> ambassadors meetings is tell folks that they don't need to be afraid to
> make budget plans, and spend more money.  I think one of the concerns
> that folks might have in NA and EMEA is that the $100k regional budget
> for the year needs to be divided into exactly $25k for each region.  But
> the truth is that the general cost of goods in EMEA and NA tends to be a
> little bit higher than in other parts of the world, and the historical
> activity in those two regions also tends to be a bit higher.  I want to
> make sure that Ambassadors everywhere are spending the money they need,
> and not worrying overly about the total.  It's my job to make sure we
> don't spend too much, but I've heard a few comments about folks feeling
> like they need to choose between FOO and BAR, when the truth is that we
> have enough budget to support everything.

We have another issue to deal here, "nerd / geek" people doesn't like to ask
for anything... could we consider to have one or two (maybe on some huge
countries) people that can take care of this? This could help us in 2 ways:

1.- Ambassadors / contributors will have a unique contact that can handle
the merchadising
2.- You'll have less work with bills and tickets since each country will be
able to fill one ticket per month/event (for example, I guess you'll have
near 20-25 tickets for FLISoL next year, so that's going to be a huge task)

We all know that is your work to have the numbers ok, but is also our job as
regional leaders / contributors / whatever to make your job easier so
everything be even better

> It's a fine line between being smart with money, and being too frugal.
> I want us to be smart, but I don't want us to be afraid to spend.  Help
> me spread the word!
>
> (3) LATAM -- Maria, I know you've pinged me a couple of times this past
> week about stuff in LATAM, including FUDCon as well as the general state
> of things in the region.  I think there are a lot of things that we need
> to talk about, and I'm sorry that I was on a trip this past week and
> didn't have enough time.
>
> Don't worry, FUDcon LATAM was already held.

> I'll follow up with you more, but I have a couple of ideas that I'd like
> to put in your head.  First, I want to personally make sure that you
> have a chance to get to the FUDCon in North America later this year.
> Secondly, I know that there has been some talk about a Fedora Design
> Team FAD, and if/when that happens, I also would like to make sure that
> you are able to attend that.

I'm specheless... I just think you're crazy with this item.

> In terms of LATAM in general, I think it's clear to everyone that the
> region needs to move into its next phase of leadership growth.  The only
> way this happens is if we have a few people who can look after different
> parts of the region, and work together to make sure that budget needs
> are known, plans are made, etc.  I think you're obviously a person who
> should be involved in that, and I'd like to know who else you think
> could help.
>
> Right now things in LATAM are a little peak; probably about FUDcon LATAM; I
already send some mails and I will start with small meetings. Maybe I tried
to encompass too much and I should think a little more and do a fresh start
with small things (This advice was sponsored by Mike :D )

> I guess that's all for now...
>
> Thank you all for your time,
> Max

see ya!