[FAmSCo] Changing the role of FAmSCo

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Nov 2 16:00:03 UTC 2010

Hi All:

While I won't be running for FAmSCo next year, I do think we need to
consider changing FAmSCo's role.

This thread: http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2010-August/009047.html
from a few months back had me thinking, and I'd like to propose
something, though I imagine it will require more than ourselves to
sign off on this.

Currently our mission is:
To provide the governance and support structure necessary to assist
and enable Fedora Ambassadors worldwide.

I propose we change that to:
To provide budget governance for the Fedora Project and to provide the
governance and support structure necessary to assist and enable Fedora
Ambassadors worldwide.

Currently - FAmSCo controls around $100k of Fedora's budget, and
there's another 100-150k that we don't manage that is managed by
CommArch, and is largely used for Fedora's premier events (FUDcons and
FADs) I propose (with the consent of CommArch of course) that FAmSCo,
in addition to its current duties, add the rest of budget to it, and
deal with the management of FUDcons, FADs, etc.

It's not secret that we are heavily involved in the premier events and
becoming more so on a regular basis.

In my mind, creating a separate group makes no sense, as I think we
can easily scale.

So how do we get there?

1. We need reaction from Max and CommArch. If Max can't/doesn't want
to cede this, it's a mute point.
2. We need to ensure that people know that money isn't just for Ambassadors
3. Perhaps we need a name change
4. We need a wordsmith better than I to craft the mission more eloquently.
5. We need to change our method of operation. We need to actively look
for opportunities to fund things that bring benefit to Fedora.

For instance, Fedora funded Ryan Rix to go to Akademy - we should be
looking for similiar opportunities, we should be encouraging the
development of FADs to get things done, and actively letting people
know that funds are available to help them get things done.

Thoughts, comments, flames??