[FAmSCo] I noticed that there was some discussion around my blog post

Caius 'kaio' Chance kaio at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 8 05:44:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM, <sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This mail would perhaps be somewhat unsolicited. I had an exchange
> with Gerard on Twitter and thereafter noticed that a bit of discussion
> around my blog post at
> <
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/famsco/2011-February/thread.html#642
> >

> If it would be helpful in any way, I'd like to explain a bit more
> context on the blog post. Primarily, I'd wish that FAmSCo have a
> discourse about how it will measure the success or, failure of the
> term of the current FAmSCo. As in, how would you know that you've
> collectively made a difference ? Is there a set of markers/points
> which are devised and kept track of and, anything below an acceptable
> threshold is flagged as "needing attention" ? This is what sets the
> context of the first of the "I wish ..." points. I think I've
> mentioned on my blog earlier that I see FAmSCo as performing a
> fiduciary role which empowers its constituents - the Ambassadors
> (note: I am no longer an Ambassador, so, I may or, may not have the
> right perspective on this). A part of this role, in my thinking, is a
> constant introspection that measures the amount of positive change
> that is catalyzed by FAmSCo within The Fedora Project and especially
> within the Fedora Ambassadors.

Kaio ++

> FAmSCo report - I really wish that the publication of this be made
> regular and, feedback solicited aggressively. Unless there is
> feedback, the understanding about calibration of FAmSCo focus is not
> going to come about.

Please give comments on our Dec 10 and Jan 11 reports. We are happy to
listen and improve.

> Regions with lesser Ambassadors - I hope that FAmSCo members will take
> time and effort to visualize (as in actually take a map and plot the
> country of every Ambassador) the constituency so as to enable them to
> see the regions where there are not enough or, even single
> Ambassadors. Being a single person or, a small group in a dispersed
> project, even with not enough access to Internet is a very dangerous
> thing to have. With time, the reason for that person or, group to feel
> unwanted, unheard and thus become anonymous is absolutely high.
> Keeping communication lines open and figuring out ways and means of
> taking small steps to build up a presence is an interesting and must
> needed exercise. I wish that FAmSCo does its utmost to prevent our
> Ambassadors from feeling miserable, from feeling left out of a
> conversation and, from feeling that they aren't being relevant in a
> world where increasingly enough, access to information and broadband
> isn't actually making it 'flat'.

I have resumed (and most of us in FAMSCo had been doing) blogging about
Fedora Ambassadors and our daily thinkings about how to improve FAm.
Building up presence in person is resource consuming process. Personally my
current work hours (10pm - 6am) and the financial border me a bit. However,
my passion is still here now. For APAC, I suggest if gbraad can take care
China more by being in confs and assists organizing FADs but I also do
understand his responsibilities from his work is even much heavier than me.

> FAQs -> Quizzes - Please note that I wasn't alluding to making RHCx
> courses available to Ambassadors at a discounted or, any format. I was
> suggesting that the somewhat lengthy nature of the FAQs can always be
> a turn off for those who aren't used to reading and assimilating large
> chunks of text. Instead, figuring out an ability to do quizzes can
> help two things - [1] it can become an activity that Ambassadors might
> want to enjoy doing because it provides a quick way to refresh one's
> memory (think cue cards and pop quizzes) and, [2] it can also help
> Ambassador mentors in coaching the new Ambassadors through the
> questions and answers

I have a thought to record tutorial videos in my first language and as a
demonstration to encourage others to follow. This is a very early idea.

> Event Calendar - I saw a photograph of FUDCon Tempe where the events
> were being listed and perhaps discussions around focus was going on.
> That can happen in a more transparently cohesive way with a calendar
> of events. It would also allow tracking to see which events received
> focus and which were pushed back to do_next_year.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Regards,
> Sankarshan
>
> ps: It appears that I had sent it to the 'old' FAmSCo list previously.
> Silly me !
>
> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>