[FAmSCo] Mentor Nomination

Neville A. Cross neville at taygon.com
Thu Jul 14 13:08:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 16:31 -0300, Igor Pires Soares wrote:
> Em Seg, 2011-07-11 às 14:16 -0430, María Leandro escreveu:
> > Hola!
> >
> > I would like to nominee Juan "Nushio" Rodriguez to be a Mentor. I
> > believe that his skills, Technical and personal, can lead Mexico,
> > Latam and a huge part of thw world into take challenges to improve the
> > way we use technology. Also I believe that Nushio, as ambassador has
> > reach several goals and encourage tons of people to follow his
> > example.
> >
> > Please, consider add Nushio to the Mentors group in your next FAmSCo
> > meeting :)
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Nushio
>
> I talked to Nushio about this earlier today and put his nomination on
> our meeting Agenda.
>
> For some background on this, we had an issue with a Mexican ambassador a
> few months back and we would like to prevent this from happening again.
> Mexico has a particular geopolitical situation in LATAM, and in addition
> to what Tatica said, I believe that Nushio understand it pretty well as
> well as Fedora core values.
>
> Regards,

I think that it is worth to mention that particular geo-political
situation means:
a) it is easy/cheaper to send swag and media from USA that from any
other country in LATAM.
b) no matter close to the USA there is a language difference to overcome
and it is part of Latin America in any other respects.
c) it is a very BIG country and ambassadors are disperse.

It requieres attention. Not sure if this means to appoint a new mentor
for ambassadors, but I see that may look that way. If there will be a
new mentor in the north part of Mexico, I will look first for Nushio.

We were talking (at FUDCon Tempe) and was accepted that Mexico will be
included on NA swag and media production. It makes sense from logistics
point of view. I am not aware if there is one person following this from
Mexico to be aware of the productions times and request some quantities
at the correct time. Any way this is beyond the Mentor appointment.

Just voicing my ideas without proper evaluation, there is a cultural
difference, where some people will work fine without a proper structure,
but some other feels important to have a person to look up or in some
cases to see a chain of command. One of the most frequent questions
about ambassadors in my country are related to how many ambassadors can
be in one country and who is in charge of the team. Some way I see this
related to mentor as a way of establishing hierarchy. I really like that
there are no hierarchical layers on Fedora, but I am aware that for some
people the lack of having a "country delegate" is puzzling.

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217