[FAmSCo] money money money

Harish Pillay hpillay at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 10:12:43 UTC 2012

| > Item 			 Budget 	  Spend
| > Premier Fedora Events 	$ 90,000 	$ 49,362
| > Regional Support 	$ 80,000 	$ 76,385
| > Discretionary Funds 	$ 15,000 	$ 12,716
| > 			========	========
| > Total 			$185,000 	$138,463
| > 			========	========
| >
| > I've updated https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Architecture_expenses
| > accordingly. I've updated the FUDcon expenses but if you look at the
| > numbers, the Blacksburg amount is way too low.  But that is what I have on
| > record. I've not updated the regional section of that page though.
|
| Thanks for the update, Harish.
|
| I think it will help us a lot. Unfortunately the basic problem remains:
| Totals and details on the list don't match:
|
| 			Total		Detail		Difference
| Premier Fedora Events	49.362		41.493		 7.869
| Regional support
|   NA			23.505		23.505
|   EMEA		16.270		16.270
|   APAC/India		 7.780		 7.780
|   LATAM		 6.635		 6.635
| Regional support      76.385		54.190		22.195
| Discretionary funds   12.716		10.100		 2.616
| 							32.680
|
| This means that we have no information about nearly one third of our
| budget.

That's because I did not update the regional support numbers on the
wiki. I was focussed on getting the core info done first.  I will need
to next update those.

| There also seems to be a problem with the POs. We had a PO over USD 5000
| for the EMEA media, but we never actually spend this money. The receipts
| are all in FAmSCo's trac (in the same tickets that was used to ask for
| the budget the PO), nevertheless all that shows up in the expense
| reports every year is the PO. I find it hard to believe that we have no
| way to incorporate the feedback.

Hmm. Really not aware of that. I will ask EMEA Finance about this and
how to manage it.

| > For FY13, I am sharing tentative budget numbers (waiting for final
| > approval hopefully by end of this month or very early March 2012).
| >
| > Item 		       Proposed Budget
| > Premier Fedora Events 	$ 90,000
| > Regional Support 	   	$100,000
| > Discretionary Funds 	$ 20,000
| > 			        ========
| > Total 			$200,000
| > 			        ========
| >
| > These numbers were arrived at after much negotiation. I am hoping
| > that they will not be reduced.
|
| I think the best way to make sure they are not reduced is to convince
| people that this money is well spent. And that can best be achieved by
| spreading the word about or work. We need more and better event reports,
| more blogging and all this. Unfortunately the last FAmSCo has done a bad
| job here: Jörg was trying to get the number of events we held or
| attended in the last 2 cycles, but there is no consistent and complete
| documentation. I will enforce this in the new FAmSCo.

Thank you for the diligence and determination.  I will certainly push
for that as well - including myself :-).

Harish