[FAmSCo] APAC Fudcon Bids

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 13:14:50 UTC 2012

Hi folks,

I just wanted to raise a flag here.

In the FAmSCo meeting earlier this week it looks like there are a few
action items for people to forward information or share information
about the APAC bid recommendation.  I have not yet seen any of that
information come forward.

The ticket is here:
https://fedorahosted.org/famsco/ticket/258

The known bids are here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_Philippines_2012
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:APAC_2012_Bid_Malaysia
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_Beijing_2012

The period tentatively scheduled for the APAC FUDcon is March 1 - May
31.  I have *incredibly huge* concerns at this point about the ability
to successfully pull together planning details for a FUDCon in such a
short time frame, particularly with details like international travel,
visas and passports, etc., not to mention simply being able to arrange
hosting space, hotel blocks, etc.   There are also the additional
efforts of going through the FUDCon subsidy process, purchasing airfare
(which tends to be cheaper the further in advance it is purchased), etc.

I think we all realize that FUDCons require a large amount of effort;
additionally, they get a large amount of funding, and I know that we
would all like to ensure that that money is well-used.  If we can't come
to a decision on the location within the next week, we may need to take
under consideration the option of deferring the APAC FUDCon until
Mar-May of 2013.  I don't think this would be a huge loss, considering
that we just had a FUDCon in Pune a few months ago.  And while I don't
want to disappoint the people who have been working on bids, I don't
want us to wind up in a position where we are disappointing a large
number of people who are investing their time in attending a FUDCon by
putting on an event that we simply didn't have enough time to organize
well, or disappoint the Fedora community by not wisely spending money.

So, please: If there is information, or a recommendation, that needs to
be passed to FAmSCo, please pass it along including any supporting logs,
etc. *as soon as possible*, so that people can familiarize themselves
with the details and be prepared to make a recommendation or decision.
I'll be attending the FAmSCo meeting to get as much information as I can
as well to make the final call.

-Robyn