[FAmSCo] [Ambassadors] FAmSCO TownHall: November 28

Elad Alfassa elad at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 29 11:04:35 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Ye Myat Kaung <mavjs at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Following are the logs from FAmSCO TownHall. Please do take your time
> to go through them if you missed the townhall.
>
> Minutes:
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-townhall/2012-11-28/famsco_townhall.2012-11-28-16.00.html
>
> Minutes (text):
>
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-townhall/2012-11-28/famsco_townhall.2012-11-28-16.00.txt
>
> Log:
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-townhall/2012-11-28/famsco_townhall.2012-11-28-16.00.log.html
>

> Have a great day folks! :)
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Ye Myat Kaung
> MavJS @ freenode.net
> http://www.mavjs.org
> Fedora Ambassador & Malaysia Contributor
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mavjs
> 7BFA DB9D D509 94AC 115B  1A0E E435 A5E3 A738 392D
> --

Hi, sorry I missed the townhall. I'll answer the questions here, if they
are still relevant:

> * Q1: Of late, there's been a lot of work going on to try and improve our
framework for reimbursements and sponsorship. A few years back, we had
community architecture, that would help with this. Do you think it worked
better when CA was around? (it's no longer active as far as I know)*

Can't answer this one, I wasn't around back then

> *Q2. Do you think amabassadors need to be part of other teams in the
project? Should we put processes in place to facilitate their involvement
in other teams?*

Well, that depends. If an ambassador is also skilled in development, for
example, they should double as developers. I don't think we really need
special processes for that.

> *Q3. About fedora events that ambassadors hold: how frequently do you
organize/attend these, and what is the goal: to get work done, or to meet
new users and speak about fedora. What should the goals of the events be?
Is funding justified for events where no work is done?

*We rarely organize our own events over here, I think that both types of
events are important, but priority for funding should be given to events in
which we can get work done - if possible.
Events that are funded by Fedora should have clear goals and ways to
measure these goals, so we can later see if  they were effective enough.

>*Q5. Considering funding can also go to events where there are only
talks,presentation, do you think this is a waste of funding or another
opportunity to get new contributors?*

I don't think it's a waste of funding, especially when the talks include
"how to contribute" section.  Even when there are talks, once there are
Fedora ambassadors in the crowd and plenty of new
users/contributors/potential users - talks could be really important. They
could inspire people, and excite them. A good talk can be a reason for
someone to ask you "how can I help".

> *Q6. Do you think the ambassadors sig is doing their part as one of the
largest fedora sub teams? For instance, during release, devel, design,
mktg, QA, docs and more are up to their necks in work. What are the
ambassadors doing at this time?*

Ambassadors don't do enough in that field, in my opinion. Before releases,
we should organize more local (real-world) test days, for example. This is
specifically important for non-English speaking countries, where
localization bugs may appear. Doing real world test days (in a physical
location, with experienced ambassadors to help users filing bugs) is just
one example on how Ambassadors can help make new releases better.

Also, if one of your local users tests a pre-release alone, make sure to
ask them to report bugs. If they are too inexperienced to do it themselves,
either guide them or file the bug for them, and contact relevant developers
to help get it fixed. When a bug reported by a new user is fixed, said user
will usually feel very good about it - because they actually helped. The
road from that to filing bugs themselves or contributing in other fields is
not long.

> *Q7. what can we do to gain new contributors in countries that currently
only have very little?*

More events, for starters. Also, consider attending not only
computer-related conferences to represent Fedora: you will find a lot of
potential contributors in the educational sector and in geeky sci-fi
conferences. When you make a Fedora specific event, make sure to advertise
it in every possible way: local FOSS community mailing lists, local
computer-geek forums, and for any other crowd that you think might be
interested in attending the event.
When in a Fedora booth in a conference, make sure to emphasize that
everyone can contribute and that contribution is easy.

Another thing that might help gaining more contributors might be convincing
some experienced developer/ambassador/contributor from other country to
attend a conference in your country and give a talk. This will make people
feel the project respects their country and is an excellent way to show how
global and diverse the project is.

Again, sorry for missing the townhall,
--
-Elad Alfassa.