[FAmSCo] FY14 Budget update

Jiří Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Tue Apr 2 15:25:37 UTC 2013

Robyn Bergeron píše v Út 02. 04. 2013 v 10:33 -0400:

> [...]

I really didn't mean it as complaint even though it might have sounded like that. The whole amount is definitely a success.
I think mine and Christoph's mails representing views from EMEA for
which it is a decline because EMEA's share of the whole cake is smaller
for two reasons:
1. NA asked for much more than us because they included reserves, we
didn't (lesson learnt)
2. APAC and LATAM asked for more they spent in the last years (it's
positive because they've always struggled to have a concrete plan of
activities, and this made them create it).

In EMEA, the community is IMHO on the rise, we have a solid base of
active ambassadors and it's growing (we had 25 ambassadors at one of the
last regular meetings), so we hoped to expand our activities this year
which is why having less money for EMEA was kinda disappointment. But I
think we can suck up and work it out.
We're all on the same boat, so if some region has a trouble to spend
money allocated to them, it can always be transferred to a region where
it's needed, or if we have concrete plans we can ask for additional
money like you say.
We have a proverb: "A cake is never eaten hot taken right from the
oven", so it will work in the end and as I said it's an improvement
overall.
And I think if we provide solid date of how much we asked for and how
much we actually spent, we can even improve our position when asking for
the next year's budget.

> [...]
>
> And seriously: If you want to spend 15k at LinuxTag, or FOSDEM, make a specific plan as to how that will positively impact the Fedora community, outline what the costs are, and I will go to make that special request. The same goes for any other "large scale" event or any plan in general; if we in Fedora want to do something extra-special and awesome, extra outside-the-budget requests can get made.
>

> > Yes, I agree that the only way to make the budget bigger next year is to
> > spend all the money we've been given. And I think EMEA won't have a
> > problem to spend all $22,100 if we planned to spend $30,000. What I
> > don't agree with is that we should make any expense if we think it is
> > reasonable and has a positive impact on Fedora without reflecting the
> > financial situation. Red Hat trusts us enough to give us money to spend
> > without asking for it every time we want to make an expense. We have to
> > be responsible and spend only what we've been given. We can't spend $30k
> > if we got $22.1k although we know the $30k is what we need for our
> > plans. So yes, let's spend every penny of the money we've been given to
> > have a valid argument when asking for more next time. Let's not spend
> > more money than we've been given just because we think we ought to get
> > more.
> >
> > The financial reporting in Red Hat is slow and doesn't work very well.
> > That's not only our experience. It's an experience throughout the whole
> > Red Hat. We can't do much about it, and AFAIK Ruth or Robyn can't do
> > much about either.
> > The only way to track our expenses is doing it ourselves. We have
> > treasurers in every region. I'm doing it for EMEA. I'm already hunting
> > all expenses we make. I search for them in EMEA, FAmSCo tracs, look at
> > Joerg's payments etc. I think it's quite reliable tracking and it's in
> > our hands.
> > The only problem is that our budget is accrual-based, not cash-based
> > (expenses belong to a period to which they logically belong to, not to a
> > period in which the payment was done) while RH budgeting is cash-based.
> > That could make differences. For example someone buys a ticket to an
> > event that take place in January, but Joerg reimburses him in March.
> > While on the accrual basis, it belongs to the past fiscal year, on the
> > cash basis, it ends up in the current fiscal year.
> > Quite frankly after two years in Red Hat, I have no idea if the whole
> > budgeting in cash-based, or accrual after all. The accounting needs to
> > be accrual after all, but the budgeting is somehow unclear.
>
> It's based on when the actual payment is done. In the case of Joerg, or any other community card holder, it is actually based on when the card is actually paid (which tends to be a month or less *after* the payment is made), because that is when the expense report is completed. Basically, the expense is accounted for in the quarter in which the expense report is filed.

I'm tracking expenses based on what event they belong to because my main
goal is to track how much we spend on each activity/event, it will
mostly match with cash-based tracking, but we should maintain these
differences with Ruth because only someone who has access to the
financial data of Fedora's cost center has an idea when they payments
actually land in RH accounting. I can just guess.

Jiri