[FAmSCo] Paypal fee with reimbursements

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 09:58:35 UTC 2013

Am Samstag, den 02.03.2013, 08:28 +0100 schrieb Buddhike Kurera:
> Hi All,
>
> There is a problem with PayPal reimbursement method, it associates
> with other payment methods as well. The fee they charge.
> In Paypal there are two methods either the sender or the receiver pays
> the fee. At this moment when reimbursing it is selected that the
> receiver pays the fee.

I already brought up this topic on this list a while back and discussed
it with Ruth at FUDCon EMEA last year. Here is what we came up with:
     1. The option to have the sender pay the fees is not available in
        some countries, e.g. in Germany. That's why Jörg cannot take
        over fees.
     2. He would need a corporate PayPal account, which requires him to
        have some kind of business. He doesn't have one, so the business
        would be Red Hat.
     3. Red Hat would have to get corporate accounts for all the CC
        holders, but both Legal and Finance departments have concerns
        about this.

> So the receiver, a FAm get the less amount. I think this is not fair.

Maybe it's not fair, but I don't think it's a serious problem either. In
most cases, people get something from Fedora, e.g. they were sponsored
to attend an event or they held a release party where Fedora paid for
food and drinks. Having them pay a small amount (AFAIK it's UCS 0,35 +
2% of the transferred money) themselves shouldn't really be a problem
here.

The only situations where I see a problem are when people pay for
expensive stuff (like media, shirts, ...) and have no benefit but only
work (ordering, distribution, ...). In EMEA we are trying to have Red
Hat paying for this stuff directly and it works out fine in most cases.

> can we look into that and make it possible so that the CC Holder can
> pay the fee.
> Are there any initial thoughts?

If there really is a problem for some people or regions, I think
corporate accounts are they way to go.

Ruth, can you tell us a little bit about the status here?

Kind regards,
Christoph