[FAmSCo] Paypal fee with reimbursements

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 15:59:34 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 02.03.2013, 09:34 -0600 schrieb inode0:
>> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 3:58 AM, Christoph Wickert
>> <christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I wasn't aware of this problem as in NA we can pay the finance charge
>> as the payer so the recipient receives the correct amount (unless I
>> goof it up).
>
> Yes, in NA even regular PayPal accounts have this option, in Germany and
> other European countries it is only available for corporate users.
>
>> > I already brought up this topic on this list a while back and discussed
>> > it with Ruth at FUDCon EMEA last year. Here is what we came up with:
>> >      1. The option to have the sender pay the fees is not available in
>> >         some countries, e.g. in Germany. That's why Jörg cannot take
>> >         over fees.
>> >      2. He would need a corporate PayPal account, which requires him to
>> >         have some kind of business. He doesn't have one, so the business
>> >         would be Red Hat.
>> >      3. Red Hat would have to get corporate accounts for all the CC
>> >         holders, but both Legal and Finance departments have concerns
>> >         about this.
>>
>> NA wouldn't need one but I don't see why we couldn't just do the
>> adjustment ourselves. If the fee is 2% and the amount owed is X then
>> make a payment in the amount of X+0.02/0.98*X which depending on
>> rounding could miss by at most a penny I think. Similar calculations
>> can be done for other fee amounts. Then we could report it as a
>> reimbursement of X with a fee of 0.02/0.98*X if that suits finance ok.
>
> I'm afraid it doesn't. One of the reasons that we use PayPal is that
> finance accepts PayPal transactions as proof something has been paid.
> But I guess that the amount needs to match exactly.

I guess I am not seeing the difference here. I overpay reimbursements
now to include the finance charge. The only difference would be
whether PayPal reports the overage as a finance charge or not and
seriously the finance changes are so small how can anyone care where
$1 to $3 is reported. I would be disappointed if this is something
finance wouldn't agree to allow since they end up paying what they
should be paying and our contributors are treated fairly.

>> That at least to me seems simpler than creating more accounts to deal with.
>
> More accounts?

We all already have PayPal accounts to use and I wouldn't want another
one to have to keep track of. I already have accounts with PayPal,
UPS, and BoA for this business.

John