[FAmSCo] Flock updates: Website, Preregistration, Call for talks, and MORE!

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Tue May 7 17:56:24 UTC 2013

Moving this over to FAmSCo list...

Am Montag, den 06.05.2013, 12:07 -0700 schrieb Robyn Bergeron:

> You may submit as many topics as you feel qualified to deliver.
> Suggested topics include but are in no way limited to:
> * ARM
> * Cloud
> * Community
> * Design
> * Desktop
> * Fedora Ambassadors

^^^

I think the ambassadors are an excellent example of a group that does
not benefit from Flock. Please allow me to explain:

Most of our teams are global. If you are for example into packaging, it
doesn't matter where you live. Kevin and I work on Xfce; he lives in the
US, I in Germany. Sure we would love to discuss things face to face and
a global conference like Flock that brings many people together is a big
step forward.

On the other hand we have the ambassadors. They are regional teams to
represent Fedora in their local and regional community. The whole setup
is defines by regions. Each region their own meetings, mailing lists,
track instance(s), mentors and leaders. Global coordination is done by
FAmSCo and on the ambassadors mailing list. AFAICS there is no need for
further meetings etc.

When it comes to select the Flock attendees the question we have to ask
ourselves is: "What does this person bring to the table to make Fedora
20 more awesome?". With this question in mind we will probably not
approve a lot of sponsorship requests for ambassadors. They have no
directly impact on Fedora 20, their real work starts after the release.

Robyn, please bear with me if I complain about how Flock is being
organized. But I'm afraid I'll have to keep on complaining. As a FAmSCo
member, I have to represent the ambassadors and FWIW, they have mixed
feelings about Flock. When I complained on flock-planning last week, I
didn't get any feedback from you or Spot, but 3 EMEA ambassadors
privately told me they appreciate my criticism as they are afraid they
will not make it to Flock.

I think the ambassadors are better off with FUDCons in their region.
Replacing regional FUDCons with a global Flock is a bad move for them
and that decision should not have been made without talking to FAmSCo.

Kind regards,
Christoph