[FAmSCo] Flock updates: Website, Preregistration, Call for talks, and MORE!

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed May 8 04:31:07 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Moving this over to FAmSCo list...
>
> Am Montag, den 06.05.2013, 12:07 -0700 schrieb Robyn Bergeron:
>
>> You may submit as many topics as you feel qualified to deliver.
>> Suggested topics include but are in no way limited to:
>> * ARM
>> * Cloud
>> * Community
>> * Design
>> * Desktop
>> * Fedora Ambassadors
>
> ^^^
>
> I think the ambassadors are an excellent example of a group that does
> not benefit from Flock. Please allow me to explain:
>
> Most of our teams are global. If you are for example into packaging, it
> doesn't matter where you live. Kevin and I work on Xfce; he lives in the
> US, I in Germany. Sure we would love to discuss things face to face and
> a global conference like Flock that brings many people together is a big
> step forward.
>
> On the other hand we have the ambassadors. They are regional teams to
> represent Fedora in their local and regional community. The whole setup
> is defines by regions. Each region their own meetings, mailing lists,
> track instance(s), mentors and leaders. Global coordination is done by
> FAmSCo and on the ambassadors mailing list. AFAICS there is no need for
> further meetings etc.

With topics Community/Fedora Ambassadors/Marketing there does seem to
be an interest in having ambassadors attend. At the end of the day I
would probably lean toward emphasizing ARM/Cloud/QA and other things
before Fedora Ambassadors too though.

> When it comes to select the Flock attendees the question we have to ask
> ourselves is: "What does this person bring to the table to make Fedora
> 20 more awesome?". With this question in mind we will probably not
> approve a lot of sponsorship requests for ambassadors. They have no
> directly impact on Fedora 20, their real work starts after the release.

Who knows? It really depends on who asks for help and how much help is
available. At FUDCons in NA there really are surprisingly few requests
for help I think.

> Robyn, please bear with me if I complain about how Flock is being
> organized. But I'm afraid I'll have to keep on complaining. As a FAmSCo
> member, I have to represent the ambassadors and FWIW, they have mixed
> feelings about Flock. When I complained on flock-planning last week, I
> didn't get any feedback from you or Spot, but 3 EMEA ambassadors
> privately told me they appreciate my criticism as they are afraid they
> will not make it to Flock.

Ambassadors in NA aren't confident about attending either. Adding to
the length and spanning parts of two weeks not to mention short notice
for summer planning all create uncertainty about whether it will be
even possible to attend. And as an ambassador from NA I feel bad
because if I miss this one I probably won't attend a Fedora event
again until 2015 at the earliest.

> I think the ambassadors are better off with FUDCons in their region.
> Replacing regional FUDCons with a global Flock is a bad move for them
> and that decision should not have been made without talking to FAmSCo.

Ambassadors can always have a FAD in their region too for work
specific to their region.

I'm hoping Flock works out well despite my worries and I'm hoping I
can get to this one somehow.

John