[FAmSCo] Managing of transaction charges for reimbursements

Neville A. Cross yn1v at taygon.com
Mon Jan 5 15:30:12 UTC 2015

El 2015-01-04 09:17, Truong Anh. Tuan escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> Managing transaction charges for reimbursements is a long time issue in
> APAC (and EMEA as well?).
> Currently, covering transaction charges by sender does not support when
> sending money via PayPal using Malaysia account (where Izhar, APAC CC
> holder located).
>
> We are discussing it [1] and have some solutions at the last meeting
> [2].
>
> There are 3 solutions for covering transaction fees: 1) get US
> accounts;
> 2) reimburse transaction fees on every reimbursement; and
> 3) pool transaction fees and file another ticket for reimbursement
>
> For option #1 PayPal US account supports transaction fees covered by
> sender. It may be the best option. You know, CC holder currently keep
> an
> US credit card to process for payments.
> A US phone number is required in order to open PayPal account. I think
> we can use an OSAS phone number or so.
>
> We would like to solve the problem with PayPal first then do the same
> with WesternUnion (PayPal currently does not support some APAC
> countries)
>
> I would like to discuss this in FAmSCo first then propose it to FPL to
> decide the final solution (may be together with EMEA, if they also have
> to face the same issue)
>
> Any ideas or comments?

There is a limitation in the use of the Community Credit Card. It is the
category of visitation card or something like that. So as Credit card
holder I can not whidraw cash from an ATM to make a payment via wester
union (or similar service).

US account means, paypal US account or bank US account? Mind that paypal
uses geo-ip as a fraud prevention policy. I found out that I was not
able to paid some services over paypal, geo-ip block because my personal
paypal account is registered in Nicaragua, the recipient was in Mexico
and I was trying to paid from Denmark. So, there is need of some
exploration in this matter.

I have the same situation for LATAM. The fees are not equal for all
cases. It vaiers from country to country, but also varies inthe same
country from bank to bank. For instance in Perú to one contributor it
only get paypal fees, but another the bank charges a extra fee like
international transfer.

What I have been done is to add the amount that we have found out in the
same transaction of reimbursement. Making a second transaction may incur
in new transaction flat fees that some cases are aplied like for
Argentina you have flat fee of USD 5.00 + 5.4% + USD 0.30. It does not
make sense that I paid 5.30 extra to send 5.4%

It is a very complex situation. Maybe I am venting a bit of steam, but
my intention is to explain the complexity and my current solution. I
will love to simplify this, and I am open to suggestion.

Neville