[FAmSCo] Elections - November 2015

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Fri Nov 13 10:06:46 UTC 2015

Matthew Miller píše v Pá 06. 11. 2015 v 11:05 -0500:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 03:59:46PM +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > Hi Tuan,
> > at Flock, we agreed we would keep FAmSCo. The new body that was
> > designed by Remy is supposed to do a lot of things that FOSCo was
> > planned to do. And there are quite a few things changing, so we
> > agreed
> > it would not be wise to start changing FAmSCo as well.
> > I know we should have announced this, but I have had very little
> > time
> > since Flock :-/
>
> Until we're able to bring a quorum of stakeholders to Flock, we
> shouldn't make final decisions there. Hammer out proposals, yes.

Well, we just maintain the status quo. No one has decided and approved
that FAmSCo should be discontinued, so having elections is just
continuing in what we have until we decide otherwise.

> I'm not necessarily opposed to keeping FAmSCo, but I'm concerned that
> it'll get in the way of:
>
>  a) modernizing what we're doing with our event strategy beyond
>     traditional Linux conferences
>  b) increasing non-event activities at the regional level
>  c) connecting ambassadors to marketing, translations, docs, and
> design
>
> .... but maybe it's okay. Can you help assure me? :)

I don't know whether keeping FAmSCo alive is the right solution or not,
but what I know is that nothing can be worse than current situation and
electing new members who would at least properly maintain the status
quo is the easiest and quickest way out of it. I currently have close-
to-zero time for FAmSCo and I still am one of the more active members
of the committee, I'd say. I haven't heard from some members for
months. Our replacement is at least one year overdue.

Jiri