[FAmSCo] Extra $50 on Fedora Release Parties

Abdel G. Martínez L. abdel.g.martinez.l at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 20:54:43 UTC 2016

Hello everyone.

I'm sending this email as an action from the latest meeting [1].

First of all, LATAM agree to change the budget [2] that were $150 to $100.
The only two RP that still are over the $100 rule-of-thumb are from Mexico,
specifically CD Mexico, Mexico (they got a 'valid' reason for that).

Secondly, I spoke with each owner of the events with the extra $50
(Bolivia, Peru, Panama) and asked them why it was higher. The responses
were similar:

- They did not know that there was a $100 maximum for the release parties.
I checked if there was any documentation [3] [4] about this rule but I
didn't have success. We should update the Fedora Release Events Planning
wiki with that missing information.
- Peru and Bolivia told me they were including swag on their budget
estimation. That's clearly an error because we have swag budget estimation
apart from events budget estimation (they apologize for that).
- Panama told me that there was a chance of having a release party on
another city. That's clearly a mistake because they should annotate two
different release parties on the events table (they apologize for that).

It is important to mention that the estimations are based on the worst case
scenario. Every country has their particular economic situation. Although
we deem budget, there are moments where the release party comes free (and
the ambassador obviously does not ask for reimburse) and moments where it
is higher than expected and the expense is assumed by the ambassador (not
asking for reimburse).

As I mention on the meeting, let's make an example: in Panama we usually
make a release party for 4 hours at a place, we present talks/workshops and
at the end of the event share pizza/soda. In the best case scenario, we get
a free place to hold the event and together we assume the cost of the
pizza/soda (and don't ask for reimburse). In the worst case scenario,
renting a place for the event will cost $140 ($35 per hour) and the
pizza/soda $38.97 ($12.99 per a large pizza and 2L of soda). In terms of
numbers, that's why the extra $50.

Related to the Mexico release party, they told that budget is including
transportation and lodging because they are going to a city where currently
there are no ambassadors as their plan to expand the Fedora presence on
larger cities in their country.

For next year LATAM budgeting, I'm proposing to have quotations that
supports the estimations.

I hope this email clarifies the misunderstanding. If you got any further
inquiries, do not hesitate to respond this email.

Kindly regards!

[1]
https://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-2/2016-01-27/famsco.2016-01-27-14.00.log.html
[2]