[Fedora-join] APAC Web FAD proposal -> Package maintainer's wishlist clean up

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 22:41:37 UTC 2012

Hi Leslie,

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 07:01 -0700, Leslie S Satenstein wrote:

> Regarding the list, it has to have something for everyone.  I for
> example, never do more than play Free Cell as a game, I do
> programming, but don't think gcc should be included initially.
> So lets look at the categories of users.
> a) Internet, Chat, IRC and Email Users
> b) Games People
> c) Networking People
> d) Music Listeners
> e) Graphics Users
> f) System Administrators / Desktop users
> g) Linux Maintainers.
> h) Children ages to 10years
> i) Office and Writers
> j) Programmers -- Web, GUI, Python, C++, C, Ruby, Other.
>
> Essentially, the categories listed in anaconda for earlier Fedora
> versions seem to be the categories of interest.
>
> Please update the list by adding or removing from the above or
> splitting out some entries from the list.

> With that, in mind, I can create a spreadsheet with a heading and
> columns
> corresponding to the topics indicated.

This is out of scope of the list. The wishlist does *not* aim to be a
package database. It merely lists packages that anyone
(maintainers/users) use and would like to see in Fedora, ie, these
packages are not yet available in the repositories.

> I also thought that we could also include a few small shell scripts to
> download one or more categories; This will help the person to save
> hours of searching for programs of interest.

Unfortunately, no shell script will server everyone's purpose. It just
isn't feasible :/

The GUI package managers do a pretty good job, as I last heard. I stick
to yum, but I don't expect new users to do that. There's an idea for a
fedora application marketplace like thing, but I'm not current on it's
progress at the moment.

Doesn't this web interface let you find your packages though?

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/apps/name/list/

> I firmly believe that the free section of rpm fusion should be
> included.  The free section has legal FOSS programs for downloading.
> As well, perhaps an entry in Firefox to the rpmfusion website.
>
> The alternate distributions (debian based) already provide abilities
> to download non open source stuff such as codecs.
>
> Should we be asking for volunteer contributions, or leave that for
> Fedora 20+ ?  (Could we get all the codecs for a dollar, as an
> example?).  I frequently take courses via the web and youtube is
> essential to view. There is no real open source viewer for youtube.

It's a small price to pay for sticking to FOSS. RPMFusion and the rest
are readily visible and available. We'd (at least I'd personally) prefer
to keep it the way it is.

There are various legal issues with even mentioning RPMFusion links in
fedora distributions. However, IANAL, and therefore this discussion is
not fruitful. I can assure you that such discussions have happened
earlier, and our current stance is not arbitrary, rather a result of
these discussions.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations
--
Thanks,