[Fedora-join] Wanting to contribute

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 01:25:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 14:42 +1100, Ian Cleasby wrote:
> Dear Fedora-guys or girls,

Hello Ian!

> My name is Ian and I'm interested in contributing sometime for the
> Fedora Project.

Ah! Great! Welcome to the community!

> I'm currently a first year uni student in computer science and I'm
> trying to more about programming.
> I can write web languages: html, css, javascript and jquery.
> Last semester, I studied  Java and understand the fundamentals and can
> read and write it.

I think the websites team uses html/css/js/jquery quite a bit. Maybe you
could start there?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Join

Java isn't used so much in Fedora specific tasks. If you're up to it,
you can maybe look packing some java software that isn't already in
Fedora:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers

>  To be honest, I don't know where to start or what I can do to help.
> Please give me some direction.

This is a phase that every new contributor goes through. The only way
through is to google/read/ask as many questions as you can :)

The best way to learn programming is to practice it. Read as much source
code as you can, and try to find simple problems(bugs) that you can fix
to hone your skills. Some of them are listed here:
http://fedoraproject.org/easyfix/

Obviously, start small. One cannot become a kernel hacker in a day ;)

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Join Fedora! Come talk to us!