[Fedora-join] GNOME settings export/import

Yann Bane yannbane at yannbane.com
Tue Jul 23 07:13:37 UTC 2013

Hello,

I've already sent an email to Toshio Kuratomi, but he hasn't replied
so I'll try to ask my questions here...

I'm a person who often switches distributions and PCs. I was wondering
whether it would be viable to create a GNOME program that would scan
the computer for settings (mostly GNOME settings), and allow the user
to export the settings to a file (and maybe cloud storage). It would
also allow importing of such files. Maybe it wouldn't only work just
for the DE, but for programs such as Firefox as well, but I haven't
thought it trough yet...

This would reduce the time needed to set up a new installation.
However, I don't see it being useful without programs such as the
GNOME Tweak Tool - which provide a lot of the settings.

In any case, before I consider this as a viable project, I have to get
answers to a couple of questions...

1. Does such a thing already exist for GNOME or GNU/Linux? Other
desktops? Other operating systems?

2. If so, why isn't it included in GNOME and advertised as something
you must have?

3. If it doesn't - is there a specific reason? Has someone already
tried implementing it but failed? Are there some not obvious obstacles
that make this sort of thing unpractical or impossible? Is it maybe
just not as useful as it seems?

4. If I were to develop it and make it reasonably useful and usable,
how likely is it that the app gets included in the default GNOME or
Fedora system? (I mean, considering how much useless crap is already
preinstalled, that wouldn't seem to be a big issue...)

Thank you for your time,
Yann Bane