[Fedora-join] A standard set of steps to join any Fedora sub-team

nitesh narayan lal niteshnarayanlalleo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 05:49:35 UTC 2014

Hi  Ankur,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We talked about making it easier for folks to join the Fedora community
> at last week's meeting. I've been thinking about it a little. I think
> the work flow could be changed (tweaked) just a little. Each team has
> their own system. I was wondering if we could have a sort of unified
> system:
>
> - A FAS group: "fedora-newbie"
> This would:
>    - let people post to the planet. This requires fedorapeople space,
> but I wonder if we can come up with another method of providing access
> to the planet. I've seen many prospective ambassadors ask this question.
> Since they aren't part of any non-cla groups, they can't post to the
> planet and it becomes just a little more difficult to tell the community
> what they're up to. Maybe we could set up a separate fedora-newbie
> fedorapeople space where these newbies could add their planet files, if
> individual fedorapeople space isn't OK? We'll need to talk to infra
> about this.

+1 for the idea. But isn't there an already existing group for Fedora Join
? Can't we use that ?

>    - Make it easy for the entire community to interact with people that
> are in the process of joining the community: you just need to query the
> group.

+1

> - the fedora-join mailing list and IRC channel will be the official
> channel for fedora-newbies: fedora-join will be the community side of
> this process. We help fedora-newbies with whatever issues they may have.
> - fedora-newbies will be required to provide monthly updates: this will
> tell us who is active, and who isn't. The FAS can be cleaned up every
> six months to remove people who aren't active.

+1, cleaning up is the most crucial part of all this.

> - we could hold bi-weekly fedora-join meetings where newbies can
> introduce themselves, and community members can hop in to communicate
> with them in a completely informal setting. We could even hold weekly
> meetings such that alternate meetings are held in different timezones,
> making fedora-join accessible to people around the globe. Community
> could each turn up at meetings that fit their timezones.

I think keeping bi-weekly meeting would be sufficient and it would give
sufficient time to the newbies as well, to work which they could
showcase in the meeting.
But if it's just for the introduction then we could hold a weekly meeting.

> I stole the last few steps from the infra team. I think they have the
> best and easiest join process. They create a fi-apperentice group and
> give newbies access to some infra that enables them to learn how
> fedora-infra works. At each meeting, new people that want to join the
> infra team introduce themselves. They send out a "Meeting agenda item:
> self introduction: John Doe" e-mail to the mailing list beforehand. Each
> month, Kevin starts a thread "Monthly status report for fi-apperentices"
> where all group members provide short updates and ask queries etc.

It's true because this helps folks in getting familiar with all the steps
to get into the team slowly.

--
> Thanks,
> Warm regards,