[Fedora-join] A standard set of steps to join any Fedora sub-team

Sudhir Khanger sudhir at sudhirkhanger.com
Thu Apr 24 02:08:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:36 AM, Sarup Banskota <sbanskota08 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Cory Hilliard <coryhilliard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> I hope this helps,
>>
>> -Cory
>

> It helps a *lot* Cory! I'm sorry it had to be a difficult experience for you
> to get started, but I'm glad you've come to right place and hope you'll find
> somewhere interesting to contribute to! ;)
>
> It's late night here for me, but feel free to head over to #fedora-join on
> freenode, you'll find humans to answer questions :) If you have any problems
> getting started, please don't hesitate to ask on this list or on irc!
>
> I'll keep your detailed email in mind when working on the login revamp,
> thank you so much for your interest!

Hello,

I am a long time Linux user. I have done my time in Ubuntu. I have
played with Arch Linux. I feel like I have found a perfect balance, of
course with occasional hiccups, in Fedora. I am also an avid KDE user.
I started using Fedora full time with Fedora 20 KDE spin, BTW the best
KDE experience on planet Earth.

A short while ago, I was looking to get involved in open source
project. I looked into KDE's Get Involved wiki [1] and specially Bug
Squad [2] team. If you go over to those links you will see clear
working model in KDE camp and the wiki pages are well supported by
external articles like official ultimate guides and community blog
posts.

On Fedora, I have noticed things can be a little daunting for new
comers. Documentation is divided in official docs and wiki. Community
is divided in mailing list, forums, IRC, and Ask Fedora. They all
serve their purpose and audience but can be quite confusing for
newcomers like me. A community has its own culture and it takes time
to learn about it but I have had a hard time finding "the obvious-es"
in Fedora. The help is readily available in Fedora. Any time I have a
KDE related problem, KDE SIG team at IRC is quick to resolve it. But
you have to know where to find them. We have to somehow fill this gap.

Overall I am pretty happy that I overcame the initial hurdles and am a
happy Fedora user.

[1] http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved
[2] http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Bugsquad

--