[Fedora-join] [August] Any newcomers here?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 01:45:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-08-17 at 22:04 -0400, Alex Alexis wrote:
> Hello everyone

Hi Alex!

Welcome to Fedora!

>   My name is Alex Alexis, I am a long time user of fedora (before
> core, and before fedora (redhat)). I recently graduated and received
> an MS in Computer Science from
> CCNY (The city college of New York). I am interested in further
> developing my skills in C++, but in the interim would be willing to
> help however I can. I haven't had a chance to work on any large
> projects but I would say I have a good understanding of programming, I
> am an avid technology enthusiast and I am comfortable learning new and
> interesting software. I am familiar with code management tools such as
> git and mercurial.  I would really like a chance to do more ...

Ah! There's always work for folks that are already well versed with git
and friends. I don't think we have a C++ project in Fedora at the
moment, since most of our programming is on the infra side and involves
python in general[1]. I'm a C/C++ fan too. Most of my non fedora code is
in C/C++. I've found that is is quite easy to learn other languages once
you're good at any one of them. If you're up to it, you can check if any
of the easy fix tasks interest you[2]. There are, of course, many many C
++ packages in Fedora and if you'd like, you could help maintain them[3]
or even package up new ones from the wishlist[4].

There's also a lot of non programming work happening in Fedora. The docs
project is looking for cookbook contributors. All you need to know is
git, and you can help them write up recipes[4]. The fedora-magazine is
also always looking for new folks that can write up posts for it.[5]

>             Give back, participate and get to know the folks who makes
> this great piece of software work.

Great to hear! I hope you'll dive into something and get to talk to more
Fedora community members in the process. The Fedora community in NA is
quite active. Keep an eye out for events - there may be one right near
you![6]

As always, if you have any questions, please ask away. You can ask
anyone, not just me :)

[1] https://apps.fedoraproject.org/

[2] http://fedoraproject.org/easyfix/

[3]