[Fedora-join] [August] Any newcomers here?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 01:56:40 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-08-22 at 00:22 +0530, praveen patil wrote:
> Hi Ankur

Hi Praveen,

> Thanks a million for all the information and encouragement.
> I am working on your suggestions and exploring the Fedora Spin
> process.

Ah! Great!

> I am also working on preparing rpm package for ExpEYES. Since I am new
> to all these things I may need your help.

Sure. Contact me any time.

> We have planned for celebrating Software Freedom Day in our city
> Belgaum. Need to have some fedora stickers, button badges  and fedora
> Cds.
>
> I will request for some funding for the event.

Great. Are you able to access the APAC trac yet since you aren't yet an
ambassador? If you can't please drop me an e-mail offlist and I'll open
a ticket on your behalf. Kushal should also be able to do this, of
course. Please read the reimbursement guidelines before you plan your
event, though. There's a lot of important information there that will
come in handy to you:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/APAC/Reimbursement
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents

>  We have also planned to have regular FOSS activities  every alternate
> Friday with a theme "Friday with Foss and Fedora"  Please suggest some
> ideas to make it useful to people in this region.

It really depends on the current status of the region. If people aren't
already aware of Fedora and FOSS in general, may be it'll be a good idea
to first increase the user base - help them install systems and use them
for daily tasks - internet browsing, chat, office work using libre
office and the sort. It's most important to help them understand the
advantages of FOSS and Linux over proprietary software - an open code
base implies better security, for one.

> Fedora Ambassador Kushal is my mentor and is constantly encouraging me
> to contribute positively to the community. I will be asking for his
> help too.

Great :)

> Right now the only problem I have is to contribute to fedora planet or
> magazine easily or even to have a fedora mail alias one needs to be a
> member of one non-cla group. I have applied for membership of some
> groups including Free Media group.
>
> Can you please help me in this regard?

I'll drop Frank and e-mail requesting him to approve your membership to
the freemedia group. If you need media to send out as a freemedia
contributor, you can request funds from APAC too. I think we have some
left over.

> Thanks a lot again.

No worries. We're always happy to help new folks join the community :)
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Join Fedora! Come talk to us!