[Fedora-join] audio/video software

LM lmemsm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 13:53:49 UTC 2014

I'm doing some research for an article on patent unencumbered Open
Source software at
https://schoolforge.net/wiki/index.php?title=Patents_and_Open_Source
I'm interested in finding patent unencumbered audio and video software
and Fedora seems like the best source for that.  I've been looking at
the source code for xine-lib-1.1.21-pruned.tar.xz.  Are there any
plans to add webm support?  Was trying to determine whether it would
be easier to use the webm code from the latest version of xine in
source control at Sourceforge and back port it to xine-lib-1.1.21 or
to create a new pruned copy based on the latest version.  Am also
interested in whether smpeg might be useable if all code related to
mp3 was eliminated.  Would like to find other useful audio and/or
video programs that are patent unencumbered that could be recommended
as options for educators at Schoolforge.  Anyone working on similar
audio/video projects for Fedora?  Would be interested in comparing
notes and possibly source code.

Thanks.