[Fedora-join] [September] Any newcomers here?

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 08:45:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-09-10 at 22:36 -0400, Cory Hilliard wrote:
> Hello there,

Hi Cory,

> I don't think I've formally introduced myself, so I'll do that now.
>
> I am currently in a computer science/engineering course in Ottawa
> Ontario Canada.
>
> After this semester I'm supposed to know C and C++ pretty solidly.  I
> have some Java knowledge and a few others.  I currently have another
> 1.5 years before I graduate.
>
> I started going to college because I LOVE open sourced software.  I
> wanted to be able to help Linux take off here in Canada.  I see myself
> as sort of an evangelist of sorts.  I install Fedora/Cinnamon on as
> many computers as I can and have built a web site to help people with
> Fedora installs.

Awesome! We have http://ask.fedoraproject.org set up too. You can direct
people to it. There are already quite a few commonly asked questions on
it.

> I know Fedora uses Gnome 3 as default, but most people I know that
> have tried Gnome 3 hates "Linux" because of it... so I try to explain
> about the freedom of choice and blah blah, then show them Cinnamon and
> they ALL like it.  So I just go straight to Cinnamon now.

Ah! Hrm. Well, I really like Gnome3, but to each his own ;)

> I like Fedora because of the cutting edge and community.  I like Red
> Hat/CentOS because I converted a business over to Linux when I was an
> IT guy for an umbrella company.  I saved them a ton of money on OS
> licenses for windows.  I just followed some online walk-throughs and
> saw how much fun and how much more control I had over everything.  I
> loved it.  That was when I really wanted to contribute to Linux.  I
> had no experience with Linux before that, but it was free for me to
> use and tinker with and learn.  It was also more solid than the crashy
> windows servers I was trying to maintain.

Yeah. I've heard this before too.

> So now I'm in school.  I want to contribute in a few ways.  I want to
> continue my evangelizing, I want to contribute code in places that I
> see need help and I want to somehow make Canada more aware of Linux.
> I'm not sure exactly how any of these things are going to happen and I
> don't have any idea how I'm going to be able to make money from any of
> this... or even if I'll have time if I need to work for a private
> company so I can afford to live.

Sounds great! If you aren't a Fedora Ambassador already, you should
consider signing up. The Fedora marketing team is also another great
place to get started. Fedora sponsors community members to Linux events
and such. There's also a scholarship, but I'm not sure if it's still on:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scholarship

There are a couple of ways of making money off Linux - working as sys
admins and the sort. Contributions to open source projects, Fedora and
others, generally help improve your skill set and your resume as a
result.

> I have kind of put all my eggs in this one basket.  I moved to Ottawa.
> I have no family here.  I am hoping all this works out.

I wish you the best of luck. If you need help with anything, please just
go ahead and ask.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,