[Fedora-join] semi-Newcomer

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 12:22:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-23 at 21:06 -0500, John Unland wrote:
> Greetings everyone!

Hello John!

> My name is John and I'm a Junior working on my Bachelors in Computer
> Information Systems. I recently got involved with Linux a year and
> half ago. But I have and seen Linux used by one of my friends in High
> School. It wasn't until a little over a year ago when I wanted to
> learn and use Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 because I thought
> it was a interesting product for people with a small IT infrastructure
> to use for there small business. To my dismay I found out that good
> ole' MS had cut support 1-2 years ago and so it was irrelevant for me
> to learn it because it was unsupported like XP.

> Long story short, I came to one of my professors wanting to do a
> research project on open source Linux / software adaptation for small
> business particularly targeting the server. Since then I have made a
> very capable distro from Ubuntu that would replace + give SB owners
> the resource to run there own server from there own hardware. I am
> still in the Alpha stages of slimming down Ubuntu and sending it to
> Canonical for evaluation so it can be marked as a official
> distro/remix.

That sounds really interesting!

> (Please bare with me.)
>

> Up and till today I was going to do Ubuntu but since Fedora released
> there Alpha build of Fedora Server I may change it to Fedora Server
> after all. (I visited Fedora's booth at Texas Linux Feast this past
> summer which they were talking about Fedora.next/Fedora 21). However I
> want to get in touch with the server group so I can maybe see if I can
> get them too add my software stack + some other software that I would
> like to make bundled for the server roles, but I want to make my
> presence be known to the community before I start posting in other
> mailing list. Just a courtesy. :)

Heh. I'm sure the server group will be happy to hear your suggestions.
Even if they do not accept all the changes that you propose - they have
a technical specification set out for the product; you can always create
your own Fedora spin and use our infrastructure to maintain it:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Technical_Specification
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_SIG

Spins aren't too much work, once you get the hang of them.

> Lastly, I have basic skills in Java, C#, BASH, and some C (Got me a
> book on scripting circa 1990 for scripting, so I'm learning a bit at a
> time.). Also I am well versed in hardware and networking. Also I have
> a dire love for embedded, (even though I'm new, I think there are tons
> of possibilities for stuff to be done in this sector.)

Nice! We have Fedora community folks tinkering in all those areas - look
at FEL/Fedora ARM for embedded systems, for example.

http://spins.fedoraproject.org/fel/
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

> Thank you for reading my lengthy post, but I hope this will be the
> last time. :)

Heh. I'm sure we'll run into you on the many other Fedora mailing lists.
I hope you have a fun time working with everyone. If you need any help,
do drop us an e-mail.

All the best!

--
Thanks,