[Fedora-join] Fed-join talk at Flock.

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:45:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-07-16 at 10:55 +0200, Gabriele Trombini wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hiya!

Sorry I haven't replied yet - I was away at an academic conference. :)

> as you know the talk proposal was accepted(
> https://flock2015.sched.org/
> event/5c50e2d10a4b1bd7319f6ece318bdcb4#.VadurK0eLeQ).

Awesome!

> There are some points I should develop:
>
> General part:
>
> 1) the new structure of fedora-join;
> 2) the target of fed-join;
> 3) the new workflow of fed-join;
> 4) what we need to reach the goal;

Sounds good. The goal of the SIG should be focussed - people need to
understand why the SIG is around in the first place and how it'll
contribute to Fedora. Something on the lines of:

"We take it for granted that newbies will come up and ask us questions
and learn by themselves but this isn't really how it works. Newbies are
generally shy and scared and only after they spend enough time in the
community do they learn how to go about it all. We want seasoned
contributors to speak to them right when they enter the project to
teach them the Open source way and the Fedora way - at the earliest
opportunity! :D

You may even get questions about how this is different from the older
"mentors program" and so on.

> Specific part:
>
> 1) why "Mary" is "marooned" (wiki for "dummies", how don't get lost
> inside);
> 2) what we can do for Mary;
> 3) let's "rescue" Mary together.

I really like this idea. It'll really help in getting across how
newbies find it difficult to join up when they are completely new to
the project.

> Proposals:
>
> 1) a badge assigned for each rescued user;

Hrm, this means "Mary" gets a badge? Doesn't this already happen since
all new FAS account users get badges. How about badges for people that
rescue Mary instead? That'll encourage more contributors to help out?
So:

- badges for people that help newbies
- improve join.fp.o which just redirects to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join at the moment (it may have all the
info we think newbies need, but it doesn't really help them too much
since they have zero knowledge of the community's functioning
beforehand).
- get http://whatcanidoforfedora.org/ more visibility - and provide
options there to speak to the Fedora Join SIG?
- and so on..?

> Those are some of the points I guessed, of course others can get up
> while writing the talk, but if you have any suggestion, feel free to
> reply.

Thanks for working on this. It'll be nice to get some feedback from any
newbies here if they're still around ;)
--
Thanks,
Regards,