[Fedora-join] Help write the Fedora 22 Release Notes!

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Sun Mar 22 18:57:29 UTC 2015

Hi all,

The Fedora 22 release preparations are in full swing.  Between the Alpha
and Beta release, community members following F22 developments
collaborate on what will become the Release Notes.

This can be a great opportunity to make a contribution that doesn't
require a big time investment or background in documentation.  Simply
choose a feature or piece of software that you love, read about the F22
version of that software, and write down what you learn.

A few tools will help.  If you're using F22, you can get info about the
package, like the upstream developer's website, like this:

    rpm -qi inkscape

And a package changelog like this:

    rpm -q --changelog pidgin

Packaged documentation, which will often include a detailed CHANGELOG or
NEWS file, can be listed with:

    rpm -qd cairo

If you aren't quite ready to make the jump to F22, don't worry, you can
still get the info.  The `rpm` commands above work with `repoquery` too, ie:

    repoquery -q --changelog gimp --releasever 22

The Fedora Packages app, https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/ , is
also a great way to get a picture of the package without installing it.

While the commands above will help get you on the right path, the best
information will usually come from the software's developers directly.
Big projects like XFCE or LibreOffice will have detailed release notes
of their own we can learn from, and even small projects will provide a
release announcement.

An item in the Release Notes should cover a few basic points:

1.  What is this thing?  What does it do?
2.  How do I use it?
3.  What's different about the new version in F22?
4.  Where do I learn more?

Don't worry about making the writing perfect, we're still in the
information gathering stage.  Pick an item, choose a section from
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_beats , and leave
your note there.  If you have questions, you can ask me or anyone in
#fedora-docs on freenode, or the docs list, or reply to this message on
the join list.

Around the beta release (that's in just a few weeks!) the content on the
wiki will converted to docbook and moved into a git repo.  I'm looking
forward to reading what you write, thanks for helping show all the great
things Fedora has to offer.

- --
- -- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader