Odd behaviour of Dolphin with pendrives

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 22:31:50 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 07:41 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> > 1) No auto pop-up. This is probably a setting somewhere
and hence my
>> > fault. For now I just click on the drive icon in the
Kickoff menu,
>> > though a nudge in the right direction would be
appreciated.

>> If you use the device notifier on the panel to mount it, you
get a popup
>> showing your options, such as to open in dolphin, download
pictures, etc.

> True. Unfortunately the exact same menu pops up when you want
to unmount
> it. This makes no sense. Furthermore, after mounting there is
no change
> whatever to the apparent state seen in the notifier. It
doesn't say
> where the device is mounted, or even that is mounted at all,
i.e. there
> is no way to distingsuih (using this window) if the device is
mounted or
> not.

I don't see this behavior. I click on a media entry and I get
asked what to do. I click on the "eject" icon to unmount it and
no window pops up. There is a tiny icon drawn on the entry as
to whether the media is mounted or not. See the attached
screenshot for the difference.

> [...]
>
>> > 3) On unmounting the drive (click on the drive icon and
select "safely
>> > unmount") the pending writes are flushed and the drive is
unmounted,
>> > *but the pop-up window doesn't go away*! Not only that,
you can click
>> > on a file and the system will try to open it, followed
shortly by an
>> > obscure error message when it fails. This is just absurd.
>> >
>> I tried your method of umounting, and it does seem buggy.
Umount from
>> either dolphin or the device notifier and you will find it
works much
>> better.
>
> For some definitions of "better". I tried it from the
notifier and the
> contents of the Dolphin window disappear, which I suppose is
an
> improvement, but the window itself sticks around, thus an
empty device
> looks very much like an unmounted device even though the two
are
> completely different.

This is no different than if you have dolphin open to a folder
then delete or move that folder. I imagine dolphin could tell
you that the folder no longer exists, but this is not behavior
only seen with removable devices. At least it doesn't force you
to close the window before allowing you to unmount ;) .

- --Ben